Live from the Toronto Skydome in Toronto, Ontario, Canada on March 17, 2002. Your hosts are Jim Ross and Jerry Lawler.

Announced attendance: 68,237


Saliva performed "Superstar".

Match 1: Rob Van Dam vs. William Regal for the WWF Intercontinental Championship. Solid match, much better than I would've expected considering the entire roster's seeming inability to mesh well with Regal's style. Excellent choice for the opener, as RVD winning the title here put the crowd in a good mood and set the pace for the rest of the night.

Match 2: Diamond Dallas Page vs. Christian for the WWF European Championship. Kind of ironic that this had one of the longest running storylines on the whole card, and it's a meaningless Euro title match. Good enough for what it was (that would be filler, son). DDP retains via the Diamond Cutter.

The Rock is interviewed by Jonathan Coachman and cuts a pretty damn funny promo on Hulk Hogan, making the Coach eat his vitamins and say his prayers and all sorts of other hilarity.

Match 3: Goldust vs. Maven for the WWF Hardcore Championship. All you need to know about this match is that Spike Dudley won. PEOPLE WINNING MATCHES WHO AREN'T PARTICIPANTS IN SAID MATCHES SHOULD NOT HAPPEN AT WRESTLEMANIA.

Drowning Pool performed "Tear Away".

The Hurricane won the WWF Hardcore Championship from Spike backstage and then "flew" away.

Match 4: Kurt Angle vs. Kane. Not as good as their superb TV match a month or two ago, but still just about as much as you can expect out of Kane. Angle pinned Kane via a roll-up with his feet on the ropes for leverage (like a good heel, kids!).

Match 5: The Undertaker vs. Ric Flair in a No Disqualification match. This was the surprise hit of the card, as Ric "God" Flair actually managed to drag a honest-to-God GOOD MATCH out of the Undertaker for the first time since around 1998. It was pretty much a lose-lose scenario for the WWF, though... either Flair wins and kills Taker's credibility, or Taker wins to make Flair look like a complete chump since the entire angle was based around Ric getting revenge. They went with the latter option.

Match 6: Edge vs. Booker T. Yes, they're fighting over a shampoo commercial. Whatever. They can make any excuses they need to in order to ensure that Edge gets on the card. Unfortunately, this match is only given about seven minutes and thus falls way short of its potential. Edge wins cleanly via the Impaler.

Backstage, Mighty Molly wins the WWF Hardcore Championship by turning on Hurricane.

Match 7: Stone Cold Steve Austin vs. Scott Hall. This match sucked exactly as much as everyone with a brain predicted it would. Nash comes out with Hall, but gets ejected from ringside mid-match for interfering too many times. And so he leaves because a bunch of referees told him to. Little crap like that just kills the whole "everyone is scared to death of the nWo" idea. Austin beats Hall cleanly with a Stone Cold Stunner. The WWF might have bought the rights to the nWo idea, but they will never EVER understand it.

Saliva performed the Dudley Boyz entrance theme.

Match 8: Dudley Boyz vs. The APA vs. Hardy Boyz vs. Billy & Chuck in a four corners elimination match for the WWF Tag Team Championship. Just horrible, with the three stale teams (every one but Billy & Chuck) wrestling 95% of the match. B&C retain by eliminating the Hardy Boyz.

Backstage, Christian won the WWF Hardcore Championship.

Match 9: The Rock vs. Hulk Hogan. It was a HUGE mistake not to put this match last. It might not have been a problem if the hadn't completely promoted this as the main event for the last month, but they did, so there you are. Hogan is actively cheered through the ENTIRE match, and Rocky gets booed. I swear, people are idiots. Why cheer Hogan? Why? WHY? I mean yeah, it's nostalgia and awesome to see him at a Wrestlemania again, but cheering him when he's against one of the biggest babyfaces of all time is just TEMPTING the WWF to shove him down our throats for the next year. Poor Rocky has this look on his face the whole match like he wants to go out into the crowd and knock some sense into each and every one of the 68,237 idiots in attendance, and I don't blame him one bit. Anyway, The Rock kicks out of a legdrop, Rock Bottoms Hogan twice, gives him The People's Elbow, and pins him. The match was mediocre at best, but the emotional high and historical significance alone make it a must-see. They shake hands after the match. The nWo come down to ringside and beat up Hogan for losing, and Rocky makes the save. After some prompting by Rock, Hogan poses in the ring like it's 1987 again, and they walk up the rampway together.

Match 10: Jazz vs. Lita vs. Trish Stratus for the WWF Women's Championship. See, this is why Rock/Hogan should've been last—because now you have a match that ABSOLUTELY NO ONE CARES ABOUT following your advertised main event. You can see half the crowd leaving right after the Hogan match ends. Oh, anyway, because I'm sure you care about this match, Jazz pins Lita with a Jazz Stinger to retain her title.

Backstage, Maven retook the WWF Hardcore Championship from Christian to end up right where we were at the beginning of the night.

Drowning Pool played their version of "The Game" as HHH walked to ringside.

Match 11: HHH vs. Chris Jericho for the Undisputed WWF Championship. A good enough match, building on the whole premise of HHH's leg being super duper injured at the hands of Jericho the previous week. Unfortunately, half the crowd is already gone. That must make these guys feel really special. As I can't stress enough, absolutely no one would've minded if this match was second from the top—especially since any sane booking has Jericho retaining the title here. Then, you can send the fans home happy with Rock beating Hogan and everything's hunky-dorey. So what happens? HHH gets the Pedigree on Stephanie after 18 minutes and practically as an afterthought pins Jericho to win the gold(s).

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.