A professional Nazi apologist and propagandist, Carto was born in Indiana in 1926 and is best known as the founder of the Liberty Lobby (who publish The Spotlight and (used to?) sponsor radio talkshow Radio Free America) and as co-founder of the Institute for Historical Review (an organisation devoted to 'proving' the Holocaust never happened.) Also the founder of racist rightwing publishing house 'Noontide Press'.

Carto has been in and out of many extreme right political factions over the years. For example, he was editor of "Right" magazine - a racist newsletter in 1950's San Francisco; he was a director of the extremist Congress for Freedom; and for a short time he served as a co-ordinator for the John Birch Society. He has consistently maintained his adherence to the ultra-rightist ideology spawned by Francis Parker Yockey, whom he admired greatly, writing the introduction to Imperium, Yockey's putrid and racist quasi-Hegelian tome on the philosophy of culture and history, for the first hardback edition, published by Carto in 1962.

Although Carto himself prefers to shun the limelight, and is not so well known as agitators such as his sometime colleague Lyndon LaRouche, it is probably fair to say that no one man has done more to foster the cause of racism and race-hate in contemporary America, and to create the 'militia' mindset that has resulted in such tragedies as the Oklahoma Bombing, the Randy Weaver shootings.

Whether his ideological position is sincerely maintained, or is merely a means to financial gain (Carto has grown very rich from his trade) is hard to say.

Here's Carto expressing a few opinions:

"Those who are not special-interest pleaders can hardly be found amongst the ranks of historians [...] the pathetic establishmentarians whose idea of revising history is to write out the role of white males and write in Jews, lesbians, Blacks and American Indians"

"Only a few Americans are concerned about the inevitable niggerification of America"

"Hitler's defeat was the defeat of Europe. And of America. How could we have been so blind? The blame, it seems, must be laid at the door of the international Jews. It was their propaganda, lies and demands which blinded the West to what Germany was doing. If Satan himself with all his superhuman genius and diabolical ingenuity at his command, had tried to create a permanent disintegration and a force for the destruction of the nations, he could have done no better than to invent the Jews."

In the political climate which has developed since the civil rights revolution of the 1960's, such views have become difficult to hold in public, without immediate loss of credibility, and Carto's organisations have taken a softer approach, eschewing such extreme racism in public places, portraying themselves as simple lobbyists for the rights of the white majority against the demands of the 'special interest groups' - indeed such terms as 'special interest' have become code words for the targets of the ideology, and begun to seep into the mainstream political discourse. Make no mistake: their origin is in the rhetoric of the hatemongers and racist demagogues, of whom there are none more significant and influential than Willis Carto.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.