This is a question that has dwelled on my mind often. Why is it that we desire things at all? That we're constantly trying to reach just a little further, to buy that nicer car, that nicer house, or to even read that next book. Why are we always striving for better, never happy in the place we are, never content? I suppose that's what makes us human in the first place, the desire for more, that unsatisfiable craving. It's that craving that can describe every one of our actions - why most people can't live their lives begging for their next meals because the idea of the little house on the beach is too tempting. Without these desires, would we even advance intellectually and technologically? Probably not.

Put those desires into our relationships, though, and I become confused. We all have this desire to find that one true love, right? That person who is exactly what we always wanted but never knew, that person who makes feelings surface that we weren't even aware were there. Our past and present literature focuses primarily on this thing called love, but more specifically, on finding love, unrequited love, and the loss of love. Stories are rare and far between that focus on love itself, the love that occurs after being with somebody for years. And even if it does focus on that kind of "love", it certainly isn't as popular. Why is that?

It's the chase we like. It's that crazy lust that drives us mad, drives us to extremes such as writing horribly bad poetry. It's being mesmerized by a person's lips wondering what they would feel like against yours. It's those life shattering moments when the person you're infatuated with is there standing across the room, kissing another girl, and you're sure the world just exploded and your heart is going to stop.

I'm not sure if I am explaining this right or if I have even touched the subject I was attempting to, but I see these things all around me. Desiring and wanting people who we know we will never have, and if we do have them, it never lasts. Forever? Does anything last forever, and can it ever be what we dream of it, or is the dream itself all we'll ever achieve? Why is it we desire that which we can never attain?

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.