Advertising campaign used by the trident gum company. The proper response to this question was :
I do!
I do!

Has since become one of those engrained responses that anyone who's been exposed to American culture can't help but recognize.
(Like saying "I want chicken, I want liver." I bet you anyone who's grown up in the states could finish that sentence.)

Now to me as a Brit this phrase has completely different connotations. Trident is a word that either implies a large forky thing that assorted sea gods use, or more commonly a type of nuclear missile. During the 1980s CND was very active in the UK in protesting against trident missiles, and it was rare for a week to go by without the news reporting the activities of anti-nuclear protestors at Greenham Common or one of the Scottish submarine naval bases.

So in my mind, a phrase such as "Who Wants Trident?" is inextricably tied up with the anti-nuclear weapons movement. It calls up images of protestors standing in fields waving placards and banners, of Glastonbury back in the days when it was still a CND benefit gig, and pictures of US troops driving around the English countryside with nuclear bombs on the back of huge trucks. Definitely no chewing gum though!

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.