With regards to computers, of course. A question which spawns a large debate (and shortly many, many downvotes, I'm sure). Here is my foray into the madness:

Firstly, it is NOT a Windows based machine. This is not completely the fault of Windows, although it's instability is cause for comment. The real fault in it is that Windows runs on CISC (Complex Instruction Set Computing), which does not make it competitive with RISC (Reduced Instruction Set Computing) based chips. The Windows API's are also poorly set up for graphics editing.

Many would say, and with some degree of truth, that SGI machines dominate the graphics industry, both 2D and 3D. SGI machines have unparalleled graphics processing ability, largely-due to to both it's RISC based processors and it's usually enormous video RAM capacity. An SGI Octane2 has 92mb of texture memory, an amount unavailabe on any other system. It also uses a modified Unix architecture, making it extremely stable.

The long standing consumer and semi-professional champion is the Macintosh. Ever since Apple made the switch to the RISC based PowerPC chip, away from the 68040 and it's predecessors, the Mac has been the premier tool of digital editors. Recently the Mac has both been bolstered and depleted in it's dominance. Bostered by the recent Mac OS X, with a BSD based kernel giving it extreme stability and multi-processing power. However, Motorola's inability to speed the G4 processor which powers Apple's high end workstations have given the edge to SGI and even given Windows a minor advantage (although Windows can never hope to rise to dominance).

There's my 2 bits. Let the flames and downvoting begin!

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.