Whit"tle (?), n. [AS. hwitel, from hwit white; akin to Icel. hvitill a white bed cover. See White.] (a)

A grayish, coarse double blanket worn by countrywomen, in the west of England, over the shoulders, like a cloak or shawl.

C. Kingsley. (b)

Same as Whittle shawl, below.

Whittle shawl, a kind of fine woolen shawl, originally and especially a white one.

 

© Webster 1913.


Whit"tle (?), n. [OE. thwitel, fr. AS. pwitan to cut. Cf. Thwittle, Thwaite a piece of ground.]

A knife; esp., a pocket, sheath, or clasp knife.

"A butcher's whittle." Dryden. "Rude whittles."

Macaulay.

He wore a Sheffield whittle in his hose. Betterton.

 

© Webster 1913.


Whit"tle, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Whittled (?); p. pr. & vb. n. Whittling (?).]

1.

To pare or cut off the surface of with a small knife; to cut or shape, as a piece of wood held in the hand, with a clasp knife or pocketknife.

2.

To edge; to sharpen; to render eager or excited; esp., to excite with liquor; to inebriate.

[Obs.]

"In vino veritas." When men are well whittled, their tongues run at random. Withals.

 

© Webster 1913.


Whit"tle, v. i.

To cut or shape a piece of wood with am small knife; to cut up a piece of wood with a knife.

Dexterity with a pocketknife is a part of a Nantucket education; but I am inclined to think the propensity is national. Americans must and will whittle. Willis.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.