White Wolf also published some interesting fiction, such as the Borderlands series. The games published under their "mature" label, Black Dog Games, included the infamous Human Occupied Landfill (HOL). Computer games based on Werewolf The Apocalypse and Vampire The Masquerade are in development.

White Wolf Publishing, Inc., started out as "White Wolf Magazine," published by Stewart Wieck, which in 1991 merged with Lion Rampant, a company founded by Mark Rein-Hagen for his role-playing game Ars Magica. Shortly after the merger, in addition to releasing a new edition of Ars Magica, the company came out with Vampire: The Masquerade, which was a huge success. This and some other RPGs by White Wolf Game Studios were set in the same universe, the World of Darkness, and used the Storyteller approach to gaming, which as the company's web site explains, gives an opportunity for the game's characters to grow and change like those of a good story, instead of just gaining more skills with a sword or gun.

With the great success of their games, the company branched out into related areas. As of 31 March 2002, their web sites lists their products as:

(CzarKhan says "No mention of Black Dog Games or Human Occupied Landfill, my favourite thing ever to come from White Wolf?" So now I've mentioned them.)

They have also licensed the rights to other organizations to make computer games based on their RPGs, and run electronic mailing lists for people to discuss the games.

White Wolf's line of games set in the World of Darkness include:

White Wolf also has another line of games set in the same universe but with stretches of time between them, in chronological order from the past to the future (which is the reverse of their order of their publication) they are:

They also published Ars Magica for awhile, among other games I'm certainly forgetting (the Streetfighter game?). Another game, Exalted is due to be released Real Soon Now.

Incidentally, it's 'White Wolf Game Studio,' without the "S." I know I'm a horrible person for making yet another White Wolf node, and I probably will rot in Hell anyway. But I figure White Wolf Publishing, Inc. would care, at the very least I prefer making the right hardlink in my writeups.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.