Wel"come (?), a. [OE. welcome, welcume, wilcume, AS. wilcuma a welcome guest, from wil-, as a prefix, akin to willa will + cuma a comer, fr. cuman to come; hence, properly, one who comes so as to please another's will; cf. Icel. velkominn welcome, G. willkommen. See Will, n., and Come.]

1.

Received with gladness; admitted willingly to the house, entertainment, or company; as, a welcome visitor.

When the glad soul is made Heaven's welcome guest. Cowper.

2.

Producing gladness; grateful; as, a welcome present; welcome news.

"O, welcome hour!"

Milton.

3.

Free to have or enjoy gratuitously; as, you are welcome to the use of my library.

Welcome is used elliptically for you are welcome. "Welcome, great monarch, to your own."

Dryden.

Welcome-to-our-house Bot., a kind of spurge (Euphorbia Cyparissias).

Dr. Prior.

 

© Webster 1913.


Wel"come, n.

1.

Salutation to a newcomer.

"Welcome ever smiles."

Shak.

2.

Kind reception of a guest or newcomer; as, we entered the house and found a ready welcome.

His warmest welcome at an inn. Shenstone.

Truth finds an entrance and a welcome too. South.

To bid welcome, to receive with professions of kindness.

To thee and thy company I bid A hearty welcome. Shak.

 

© Webster 1913.


Wel"come, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Welcomed (?); p. pr. & vb. n. Welcoming.] [AS. wilcumian.]

To salute with kindness, as a newcomer; to receive and entertain hospitably and cheerfully; as, to welcome a visitor; to welcome a new idea.

"I welcome you to land."

Addison.

Thus we salute thee with our early song, And welcome thee, and wish thee long. Milton.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.