This simple and delicious recipe was shown to me by a chef that I used to work with. We served it alongside a grilled tuna steak and some crispy proscuitto (Parma ham), but it will happily accompany many dishes such as chicken and pork. It sure beats the vegetables in Meat & 3 veg! If you serve it with some grilled polenta and a green salad, it makes a delightful vegetarian main course.

Ingredients

  • 1 large eggplant (aubergine), about 500 gm (1 lb)
  • 4 ripe tomatoes, cut in quarters
  • 2 red (Spanish) onions, peeled and cut into wedges
  • 1 red capsicum (bell pepper), cut into strips
  • 2 garlic cloves, chopped (or use garlic oil)
  • 60 ml (1/4 cup) olive oil
  • 30 ml (2 Tbs) red wine vinegar
  • Sea salt
  • Pepper

    Method

    Slice the green calyx off the top of the eggplant and cut in half lengthways. Slice each piece into half moon shapes about 1 cm (1/2 inch) wide. Place in a roasting tray with the tomatoes, onions, capsicum and garlic. Pour over the oil and vinegar and toss together. Season with the salt and pepper. Cover with tin foil and roast in a pre heated 200° C (390° F) oven for 20 minutes. Remove the foil, stir and roast for a further 5 minutes to colour the salad a bit. The eggplant should be soft, but still holding its shape. Serve warm.

    Lasts refrigerated for 4 days. Any leftovers can be mixed with some fresh basil leaves and piled into crusty bread to make simple picnic loaves.

  • Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.