The Wand of Wonder (an AD&D magic item), is so unpredictible that you can consider it to be a cursed item. It has nearly 20 effects, many of which are attacks, but you never know what it is going to do. Firing the wand may shoot out a fireball, or turn the target to stone. But it also may just summon a swarm of normal butterlies, or cause the wand wielder to shrink to halfling size.

A Wand of Wonder should be considered a weapon of last resort, as its totally random effects can be as dangerous to you and your group, as it is to your enemies. (Imagine accidently invoking the fireball power in a small room).

The effects that a Wand of Wonder can produce include (but are not limited to), the list below.

  • Slow the target down
  • Make the wand wielder believe that something else happened
  • Summon a great wind
  • Summon a cloud of toxic gas
  • Cause heavy rainfall
  • Summon a mouse, elephant, or rhino
  • Lightning Bolt
  • Summon huge swarm of butterflies
  • Turn target into a giant
  • Cause darkness
  • Cause grass to grow
  • Make all inanimate objects in range vanish
  • Shrink wand user to halfling size
  • Fireball
  • Makes user invisible
  • Makes leaves grow from target
  • Shoots forth semi-precious gems (this is actually an attack, they shoot out really fast)
  • Cause a funky light show
  • Turn target to stone (or if target is stone, then they will turn to flesh)
In Dungeons and Dragons Third Edition, this item is known as the Rod of Wonder. This is necessary because the magic item rules have changed, and the term "wand" has a more specific definition.

This destroys the alliteration and the fun acronym, but there are a couple of gameplay advantages. As an AD&D wand, the WoW was a limited-use item that (usually) only a wizard could use. A 3E rod, on the other hand, never runs out of charges and can be activated by anyone.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.