Walking Man 3

Thump
Thump
Thump

Nobody who saw him could ever doubt that the walking man had a destination in mind. The thud of each determined step resounded with a sense of purpose, and his eyes were fixed on the distance, oblivious to anything but the point he was aiming for, and the road that would get him there.

Greetings went unanswered, unacknowledged, as he passed people and places, places and people. No glance flickered to the domestic argument on his left, and the plate that flew past his head didn't even cause him to falter. If something blocked his way, he went round it, sure, but the look in his eyes said that the detour was one he always planned to take.

He never looked back, and nobody ever saw him do anything but walk. Oh, there was a rumour that he'd stayed somewhere a while, a long ways back down the track. Stayed and talked and acted like a normal person for a week or two, they said. But nobody really believed that, because no-one you actually spoke to had ever seen him stop -- not to eat, or to sleep, or even take a leak. He just kept walking.

Legends built around him.

He was walking to meet his maker, to be first in the line on judgement day.

He was a messenger, sent to show mankind that there was a reason to keep going, and a place ahead where life was sweet.

He was heading to Armageddon and if he got there on time, the world would be saved.

All the legends agreed that he was walking to something, not from it, and everyone said it was a sign of good luck to see him pass.

Thump
Thump
Thump

The walking man walked on.

Walking Man 5

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.