VRUIT!


What is Vruit?

Vruit is a beverage manufactured by the Japanese/American company American Soy Products. In addition to manufacturing and marketing soy milk, they also sell this wonderful treat, which I have only recently encountered. It is not as cheap as some boxed beverages (runs a little under $1/box in my local store) but if you have a sense of novelty and an adventurous soul, you may find yourself inclined to go sample some of this delectable drink.

Vruit takes the buzzword concept of synergy to its logical extreme. We have:

vegetable + fruit -> VRUIT!

Vruit is available in four flavors: Apple Carrot, Orange Veggie, Berry Veggie, and Tropical Blend. I have had only had the occasion to sample Apple Carrot and Tropical Blend, and I have drawn a few conclusions from this taste test. First, Vruit does not taste like V8 (there is, in fact, no tomato juice in any Vruit product). Second, Vruit is very much an acquired taste. It could rightly be said that the "Vruit appreciation curve" is very steep. Nonetheless, I have overcome all my inhibitions and have discovered the joy of Vruit.

What is in Vruit?

In Vruit, one may simultaneously satisfy a Food Pyramid-suggested serving of vegetables and fruit. This is not 10% real reconstituted fruit juice; Vruit is 100% all-natural juice. Your typical Vruit box is a small, rectangular prism (reminiscent of any other juice box you have ever seen); it is full of 8.45 fluid ounces (250 mL) of excitement.

Rather than liberally copy and paste the nutritional information available on the side of any Vruit box and on its providers' Web page (http://www.americansoy.com/VruitMain.html), I will share certain pertinent information:

No, Please Liberally Copy and Paste

OK, if you insist. But just a little. Excerpts from ASP's FAQ: (emphasis is mine)
Who drinks Vruit?

Everybody. Why not? It tastes good and it's refreshing and nourishing. Adults take VRUIT to work, and kids take VRUIT to school in their lunchboxes. Seniors also appreciate a liquid way to get more fruits and vegetables.

Is it OK to combine fruits & vegetables?

Yes. Enzymes are inactivated by the heating process, so there is no conflict in digestion.

{aside: huh?}

Is there soy in VRUIT?

No. There is not soy in VRUIT.




Wait!

No soy in an American Soy Products product? Then why would you desire it?

Let's be honest--I do have an ulterior motive. When you collect twenty proofs of purchase from the back of Vruit boxes, you can mail them away for a short-sleeved T-shirt. This stylish black Vruit t-shirt offer is available nowhere on the Web and is exclusive to the side of your Vruit box. But wait! There's more! If you have 30 proofs of purchase you can mail them away for a long-sleeved T-shirt! Both shirts bear identical Vruit logos and the the stunning slogan "Get Juiced!". Send in today while supplies last! (and wait four to six weeks for processing).

Conclusion

Like all things in life, Vruit has its ups and its downs. Ups include: taste, the nifty t-shirt, nutritional content, and the feeling of being cool you get from drinking something called "Vruit". All the negative aspects are covered in the epiphany that with Vruit, you are drinking crushed excess vegetables and fruit a company has bought at cost and marked up significantly in manufactured form. Vruit is like an expensive blender--but, all things considered, it's a good blend. Two thumbs up, ASP.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.