Voyage of the Damned was a Doctor Who Christmas Special, aired on Christmas 2007, between the third and fourth series of the revival Doctor Who. It starred David Tennant as the Tenth Doctor, Kylie Minogue as companion Astrid, and introduced Bernard Cribbins as Wilfred Mott, who would become a recurring character.

The plot of the story takes place right after Last of the Time Lords and the mini-episode Time Crash, when Martha Jones has left The Doctor. The Doctor's TARDIS crashes into The Titanic, which turns out to be a spaceliner filled with humanoid aliens sight-seeing over the planet earth. However, as is usually the case, there is trouble going on. In this case, the space Titanic is sabotaged and is going to crash into the planet below, killing the entire population of the earth. Luckily, The Doctor is aboard to save the situation. The voyage of The Doctor and the ship's few remaining survivors through the damaged ship is a take-off/tribute to the 1972 disaster film "The Poseidon Adventure", with an additional theme of the survivors being mostly the ship's less privileged. Later on, we find out that the sabatoge was done by the owner of the ship as a way to escape the failure of his business. Although he meets his karmic fate, and the earth is saved, there are only four survivors (including the Doctor).

The episode is a bit more grim than the average Christmas special. However, it is still (like most Christmas specials) easily accessible and full of eye candy and epic moments. I thought that Kylie Minogue did a fine job as an actress, although the script doesn't give her a lot of motivation or character development.

Overall, like many Doctor Who episodes, I have a mixed verdict on "Voyage of the Damned". As a sophisticated science-fiction story, it falls short of my expectations. However, as a fun story with lots of action and sympathetic characters, I think it does well.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.