Insights gleamed from the official VCOA website at www.vcoa.org

Yes, such a creature does exist. There are certain hearty souls in the world who have an addiction to the Volvo, and the Volvo Club of America (VCOA) caters to the upkeep and enjoyment of all Volvos (even ones never sold in the United States).

Compared to a lot of other American car clubs (BMW Car Club of America comes to mind) membership is modest at around 3500. A bimonthly magazine Rolling is published. The club is fairly typical of smaller car clubs. There's usually an annual meet that flip-flops from the east to west coast every year, with smaller meets in between. Many owners still drive their 35 year old cars every day (fun for a spell, but being stuck in the Bronx with a broken fuel pump is not exciting and perhaps life threatening.)

As could be expected of people who love eccentric cars, children of the Swedish box used to be more often the devout NPR listener than anything else. With the international gobbling up of small European automakers, Volvo has been transformed from the don't-give-a-damn manufacturers of horizontal refrigerators to the new Lexi challenger. Volvo people have always had to battle the reputation that the 1970s Volvos had of being boxy and boring, since previous models from the 50s and 60s were halfway pretty and nice handling. Now the new perception to be battled is how Volvo is just not another Infiniti lookalike.

The existence of VCOA provides yet more evidence that where interest exists so follows some organization to cater to the need. Have we ever battled the Saab owners? Yes, but timed rallies tend to depend more on accuracy, and not the number of strokes of the engine.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.