user since
Sun Jul 15 2007 at 16:19:47 (16.8 years ago )
last seen
Wed Jun 1 2011 at 21:31:13 (12.9 years ago )
number of write-ups
14 - View voltaireontoast's writeups (feed)
level / experience
2 (Acolyte) / 721
C!s spent
7
mission drive within everything
To do something profound not-so-very often.
specialties
Russian, French, History, Politics, International Relations, Russian Literature
school/company
University of Wales, Aberystwyth
motto
There has to be enough light to see the darkness
most recent writeup
Fascism in Interwar France
Send private message to voltaireontoast

Voltaireontoast is BACK! I do declare! Coming shortly (meaning when my procrastination kicks in), a bit on interwar French Fascism!

This is a tad belated, but here is a MASSIVE thank you to my secret santa, who is made of awesome and did make a significantly rainy, essay drenched day brighter with a box of wonder from fluffy-bunny Euroland. I also finally discovered why certain noder friends of mine were asking me strange questions. Hee. So yes, merci beaucoup and all that good stuff! *bounces off grinning*

I have been voted some very odd things in my time. Currently, I hold the title of 'Most Likely To Take Over The World '07.' I am still trying to decide what people were smoking when they named me that.

It may have something to do with being completely obssessed with International Relations, but trust me, I'm not going to invade your country and steal all your stuff unless I absolutely have to. 'have to' may include 'just because I feel like it' or 'oooh, I fancy THOSE pyramids'

Me and what army? Well, me and the imaginary army which haunts the minds of most great and insane dictators. I have been practicing on Risk, you see. The bad news is, my brother keeps beating me, so I may have to rethink my strategy, possibly bringing New Zealand on side.

Not sure what else to put here, so I'll nick this off Andrew Aguecheek.

A Somewhat Modified Proust/Bernard Pivot Questionnaire.

Your most marked characteristic? My usually insanely coloured hair? Blue at the minute. Online? My love affair with the letter u.

What is your greatest extravagance? The amount of money I spend on jeans. Honestly, why do I spend that much?

What is your favourite word? Pamplemousse. French ahoy. In English, tumultuous. See my love of the letter u.

What is your least favourite word? âõîä. Russian for exit. Pronounced 'vkhod'. Yeah, you try saying that.

Where would you like to live? A city I can randomly wander aroud and always find something I like/somewhere to drink/something interesting.

The quality you most like in a person? Patience.

What do you most value in your friends? That deep down, despite being a little weird and annoying at times, they're good people and like me for who I am.

What turns you on? ...not telling you. Ahaha.

What turns you off? Cheese and Onion crisps.

What is your principle defect? I have a guilt complex. Aaah. sorry 'bout that. Snerk.

What is your favourite occupation? Rambling on and on and on until I start foaming at the mouth and fall over backwards. No, I'm not a Conservative. *crosses self, just in case*

What to your mind would be the greatest of misfortunes? To survive an arduous gauntlet of tasks, all putting your life in great danger, surviving, then dying of hiccups or choking on a bit of broccoli.

Who is your favourite hero of fiction? Mr Flory from Burmese Days by George Orwell.

Who is your favourite heroine of fiction? Anathema Device from Good Omens.

Who are your heroes in real life? I tend not to pick heroes. Everyone has their downfalls.

What sound do you love? Accents. Most accents. I love hearing how different people speak.

What sound do you hate? That great big 'thutunk' Windows makes when you try something not allowed. Makes me jump.

What are your favourite names? Shaun, Mathieu, because I have a French thing, and Suzanne. Which is my mum's name, but I love the z.

What natural gift would you most like to possess? The ability to deliver a joke properly.

How would you like to die? Quietly.

What is your present state of mind? Bored.

What historical figures do you most despise? Aside from the usual (Hitler, Stalin, so on), the overrated people in history. Churchill and Emmeline Pankhurst being some of them. And I'm kind of a feminist.

What is your favourite flower? Chocolate flowers. Because they're maaaaaaagical.

What is your favourite bird? Ducks.

What would you like to be? A man, just for one day, to see what it was like.

What is your favourite journey? Going down from my house, through the woods to the Abbey, taking my camera on the way.

On what occasion do you lie? When I think the truth will cause more trouble than not. I hate doing this, but I just do sometimes.

Which words or phrases do you most overuse? "hey hey" and "theoretically"

When and where were you happiest? So far? Norway, on my free holiday. Nothing went wrong, it was heaven, with four friends and three mad teachers.

What is your favorite curse word? Whoreson, but you can thank history for that.

If you were to die and come back as a person or thing, what do you think it would be? A bird, but not a pigeon type. Something fun, like an eagle.

If Heaven exists, what would you like to hear God say when you arrive at the pearly gates? JOKE! Except to me? He'd probably say 'told you so, you bum atheist'