Visage were a synthesizer-based, British "New Romantic" pop group who enjoyed a reasonable amount of success in the early 80's. Fronted by Steve Strange, (Steve Harrington), the group was really more of a musicians collective, with most of its members drafted in from time to time from other bands.

The name "Visage", (literally "face"), is a reference to the fact Steve Strange continuosly re-invented his appearance, with the aid of heavy make-up. Well, it was the 80's! Also, with a revolving door type band membership, the group itself seemed to have many "faces".

Aside from Steve Strange, the most famous member of the Visage group was it's other progenitor, Midge Ure, of Ultravox. Fellow Ultravox member Billy Currie was also a band member. The Midge Ure connection also links Visage member Rusty Egan, who had played in a previous band with Midge Ure: The Rich Kids.

The band's big hit was their third single: Fade to Grey Originally released in 1980, driving synth rhythms, dramatic lead vocals and a haunting violin were coupled with a breathy, French refrain: "Devenir a gris". An arty video also helped, of course.

As often happens, the band never matched the success of this single. Despite a flirtation with the Barnacle Brothers and a minor club hit with "Beat Boy" in 1984, the ongoing musical commitments of its members combined with Strange's burgeoning heroin addiction, lead to the demise of Visage in the mid 80's.

Vis"age (?; 48), n. [F. visage, from L. visus a seeing, a look, fr. videre, visum, to see. See Vision.]

The face, countenance, or look of a person or an animal; -- chiefly applied to the human face.

Chaucer. "A visage of demand." Shak.

His visage was so marred more than any man. Isa. lii. 14.

Love and beauty still that visage grace. Waller.

 

© Webster 1913.


Vis"age (?; 48), v. t.

To face.

[Obs.]

Chaucer.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.