One might notice that pornography has been very quick to attach itself to new technologies of visual presentation. When the printing press was invented, porn was one of the first things it was used for, after the bible. Photography? Porn was quick to use that. When magazines became popular, porno mags quickly appeared. The VCR market was flooded by cheap porn titles. So were DVD's. So what's next? Virtual reality.

While the older innovations in the presentation of erotica were less confusing, this one presents several dilemmas. The blurring of real, physical sex and cybersex may well change society in unalterable ways, because, frankly, sometimes the object of desire in the computer may be more physically attractive than the real one. Whereas some people want a real relationship, and no one can stay in a machine forever, some people just want to fuck. And VR pornography will be a perfect solution for that. No more one night stands. Want sex? Boot up the machine. With luck, you can even have realistic sex with another person on two machines, and it will be just like the real thing.

The drop of the taboo surrounding sex may result in a Brave New World-like society, where sex is a thing that little children engage in for fun. In fact, virtual reality pornography may redefine porn itself. When you fully immerse yourself in the experience, is it porn any more? Or is it real sex? There are many issues that many arise out of this technology. Not just erotica. Society may very well be changed greatly by this.

If such technology does come out in my lifetime, all I know is, I'll be on the computer all day long.

Actually, rather than merely "attaching itself to new technologies", it seems that pornography might be just as big a boost to the development of new technologies as is war.

For example: Sony was selling Betamax to movie and television studios and then tried to market video players to the home audience. This allowed small independent smut film makers to market a product that allowed people to watch smut over and over and over without having to be seen in the vicinity of their local XXX cinema. The market created by Sony swelled, many other companies entered, an inferior but more cost-effective format, VHS, was born. So now you and I can watch Tampopo or The Matrix any time we want.

In the same way, VR pornography and the search for it fuels much of the work done in VR. As well as streaming video and so on. The development of crystal clear moving images, variable perspectives, and increasing interactivity will unfortunately have much less to do with medical students enacting a technique and chemists fiddling with mock-ups of molecules than getting the beading just right in the moisture of someone's nether regions.

Oh well.

Actually, there's been research (if thats what you wanna call it) underway for some time to create the varitable "VR Porn" suit. Imagine, wearing a full body suit with lots of neat pressure zones (Especially "down there"), sensors, etc. which would react to stimulas you trigger by interacting with your "mate". I think they were referred to as "ErosWare" suits. As for the actualy perceived environment, I would guess something along the lines of a goggles and an internet connections to your 'partner'. Imagine catching lag pockets during climax...It's real wacky, y'know...

For now, I figure it's still very experimental, I'd say give it ten more years...

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.