Vindaloo Paste is an Indian seasoning that can be used to flavour tofu, seitan (menijin, gluten) or various meats.

What You Need
2 TB cayenne
4 TB cumin
2 TB turmeric
3 TB minced coriander
2 TB black pepper
2 TB hot mustard powder
2 TB sea salt
2 tsp minced ginger
1/2 tsp cinnamon
3/4 cup cider vinegar
1/2 cup vegetable oil

What Now?
Place all the spices and the salt together in a mixing bowl and stir in the vinegar. Keep blending with a whisk or spoon until a paste if formed.

Heat the oil in a sauce pan over medium-high heat and add the paste. Reduce the heat immediately to low and stir steadily and vigorously, scraping the bottom of the saucepan to make sure the spices do not stick or burn. (Please don't put your face over the pan, as the pungent vapours from the spices will make your eyes tear.)

Stir constantly for about 8 minutes, or until the spices have cooked and mellowed and the oil is exuded from the mixture to the edges of the pan. Set aside to cool.

When the mixture has cooled, spoon it into a jar, top with any oil that was left, and cap tightly.

This paste will keep indefinitely in the refridgerator and, if the jar has been sterilized, will keep for at least 6 months on the shelf. Use about one tablespoon for every 1.5 pounds (600 g) of tofu.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.