Va"ry (?), v. t. [imp. & p. p. Varied (?); p. pr. & vb. n. Varying.] [OE. varien, F. varier, L. variare, fr. varius various. See Various, and cf. Variate.]

1.

To change the aspect of; to alter in form, appearance, substance, position, or the like; to make different by a partial change; to modify; as, to vary the properties, proportions, or nature of a thing; to vary a posture or an attitude; to vary one's dress or opinions.

Shall we vary our device at will, Even as new occasion appears? Spenser.

2.

To change to something else; to transmute; to exchange; to alternate.

Gods, that never change their state, Vary oft their love and hate. Waller.

We are to vary the customs according to the time and country where the scene of action lies. Dryden.

3.

To make of different kinds; to make different from one another; to diversity; to variegate.

God hath varied their inclinations. Sir T. Browne.

God hath here Varied his bounty so with new delights. Milton.

4. Mus.

To embellish; to change fancifully; to present under new aspects, as of form, key, measure, etc. See Variation, 4.

 

© Webster 1913.


Va"ry (?), v. i.

1.

To alter, or be altered, in any manner; to suffer a partial change; to become different; to be modified; as, colors vary in different lights.

That each from other differs, first confess; Next, that he varies from himself no less. Pope.

2.

To differ, or be different; to be unlike or diverse; as, the laws of France vary from those of England.

3.

To alter or change in succession; to alternate; as, one mathematical quantity varies inversely as another.

While fear and anger, with alternate grace, Pant in her breast, and vary in her face. Addison.

4.

To deviate; to depart; to swerve; -- followed by from; as, to vary from the law, or from reason.

Locke.

5.

To disagree; to be at variance or in dissension; as, men vary in opinion.

The rich jewel which we vary for. Webster (1623).

 

© Webster 1913.


Va"ry, n.

Alteration; change.

[Obs.]

Shak.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.