The thrid of Camille Paglia's books, chronologing her career from the publication of her second book, Sex, Art, and American Culture in 1992, up to Vamps & Tramps: New Essays in 1994. This compilation of essays, book reviews, interviews, and cartoons expounds further on Paglia's thoughts on feminism, sex and sexuality, politics, and popular culture. But if you read nothing else, take note of 'No Law in the Arena: A Pagan Theory of Sexuality'.

'No Law in the Arena' is the first essay by Paglia I ever read, and I have been hooked ever since. Divided into six parts, this essay truly is a great review of her thoughts on sexuality and sexual behavior:


From the back cover:

From America's premier intellectual renegade: A sizzling new book on everything from pop to politics to pagan sexuality.

With her brilliant bestsellers Sexual Personae and Sex, Art, and American Culture, Camille Paglia became America's first internationally recognized public thinker since the 1960s. Her best work combines Olympian learning with dazzling rhetoric and a common sense that's as invigorating as a double espresso. In this unfettered new book of essays, never before published in book form, Paglia brings her visceral intelligence to bear on subjects that range from Bill and Hillary to Madonna, from Frankenstein to the novels of D. H. Lawrence, and from feminist icon Catharine MacKinnon to First Amendment flasher Howard Stern.

Vamps and Tramps: New Essays gives us Paglia as a bold transgressor of intellectual boundaries, conflating biology, homoeroticism, and culture into "A Pagan Theory of Sexuality." There's Paglia the omnivorous commentator, whose curiosity encompasses Germaine Greer and Princess Di. And not least of all, we see the prankish provocateuse who trades outrageous true confessions from the gender front with Lauren Hutton and dishes all of downtown with drag queen Glennda Orgasm.

Contents:


Paglia, Camille. Vamps and Tramps: New Essays. New York: Vintage Books, 1994.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.