I'm sick of disapproval that I face from my "drug free and proud" friends when I discuss my use of illicit substances. I'm a very open person and will discuss just about anything at length, so naturally, the things that I do on the weekends tend to come up and I'm friends with a lot of people who don't use drugs and try to make me feel like I'm doing something wrong when I do. I'm not saying that everyone should be using drugs all of the time, but I wish people wouldn't be so condescending about it.

The use of drugs does not make me morally repugnant, dammit! The only way that you could argue that drugs are bad in any way, shape, or form is from the legal standpoint, but since most people don't give a damn about the laws of our fair country anyway, that doesn't hold much water. Traditionally, morals are based on the harm principle, that anything that causes harm to another person is wrong and anything that doesn't, well, we don't really care. Despite my past prodigious drug use (I've slowed down quite a bit), I have never killed anyone while under the influence, I have never committed any other crimes, I haven't violated my precious morals.

Drugs also don't make you a weak person. Everyone has things that they do to deal with stress, and a lot of those things are unhealthy. Some people pick fights with trees, some people develop eating disorders, some people just retreat into their bedrooms and cry for hours. These things are all damaging to one's health in some aspect, and you cannot make an argument that drugs are more damaging than these things.

The only thing that drug use says about a person is, "Hello! I like to feel good. Feeling good is something that I strive to do on a regular basis, and sometimes I buy good feelings." And if feeling good is wrong, then I don't want to be right!

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.