The University of South Florida is a public research university in the north of Tampa. It is currently spread out over five campuses: two campuses in Tampa (including the USF Downtown Center), one in Lakeland (this campus has been renamed USF Polytechnic), one in St. Petersburg and one in Sarasota-Manatee. It's the third-largest university in Florida and has recently been awarded Research One status thanks to its very strong programs in the natural sciences, medicine and engineering.

Over 40,000 students attend USF, a large contingent of which are commuter students or non-traditional students. The neighborhoods surrounding USF are mostly businesses catering to students, and apartment blocks for these aforementioned students. In fact, the humble author of this write-up lives in one of these blocks, and works at one of these businesses that cater to college students. It's not a bad way to live.

The current president of USF is Judy Genshaft. Notable alumni include Leo Gallagher (graduated with a B.S. in Chemical Engineering in 1969) and Tampa mayor Pam Iorio (received her Master's while working as the Hillsborough County Supervisor of Elections).

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.