So let's say you've got a horse, only it's not just any regular horse, it's a magic one. No, not even just any magic one, but a doubly magic one. For, you see, it has wings, like the mythic Pegasus; and it has a horn, like the equally mythic unicorn. So what is it? A horned Pegasus? Or a winged unicorn?

And remember, please do, that where the unicorn is just a type, Pegasus is the name of a single, particular mythic creature. And, get this: its father (according to the myth) was the God, Poseidon. And what is it with mythic Gods parenting horses, anyway? In Norse myth, Sleipnir is the offspring of Loki, who (despite being a male God) was actually the horse's mother. Loki accomplished this by coming down in the form of a mare and getting boned by studly stallion SvaĆ°ilfari. Poseidon, on the other hand, did the reproductive deed with Medusa. But then, the horse was born from her neck when she experienced a cooling decapitation at the hands of Perseus. How a horse came out of there.... well come to think if it, it's proportionally actually not much different from the other place where newborns come. But I digress, since Pegasus was not even born alone, but came out with a lesser known sibling Chrysaor, the winged boar. So, yeah.

Now, coming back to the unicorn, those are just running amok all over the place, going all the way back to the Bible. Oh, sure, modern translations have omitted reference to "unicorns" and instead substituted "wild ox" for the Greek monokeros (literally "horse with one horn coming out of the center of it's freakin' forehead, bitches"). But we know a unicorn when we see one.

A horse which is both winged and one-horned might be imagined to spring from the union of Pegasus (or "a pegasus") and a unicorn. But mythology, especially the Greek variety, portends some bizarre stuff when it comes to reproduction, though. There's no guarantee that a mating between these creatures would produce any kind of horse at all, instead of, who knows, a chimera with the body of a lobster, tail of a cat, and neck and head of a swan. But should the more intuitive offspring occur, the horse with broad-feathered wings and a single sterling twirled horn, it would properly be either a pegacorn (which, to me, sounds like a large quantity of corn somewhere between a megacorn and a petacorn, of which you'd have to take a petabite), or a unisus. Not to be mistaken for Unisys.

And what are the characteristics of a unisus, other than being a winged horse with a horn? There's one in the classic Filmation cartoon spin-off, She-Ra -- just as He-Man turns his cowardly cat Cringer into the mighty Battle-Cat, so does She-Ra transform her horse, Spirit into the unisus "Swift Wind." That one can talk as well, like Mr. Ed or a Biblical donkey. But seriously, it's a freakin' winged horse with a horn. What more can you ask of it?

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.