This weekend we had company at our house out on Prudence Island. A college friend of my stepmother's had come for a visit, along with her husband. It's unfortunate that I was not in the best shape at the time, having been doing yardwork all day. Bluntly, I was fucking exhausted and not feeling terribly conversational.

During dinner, the subject of power outages came up, and the college friend (Eileen) mentioned that she had once very nearly lost a hundred dollars worth of beef she had just bought to a power outage.

"I don't know what I would have done if it wasn't already frozen!", she exclaimed, plainly very glad she had frozen it in the nick of time.
"Make jerky." I muttered.
"Excuse me?"
"Well, if the meat's about to go bad, might as well break out the grill and some drying racks and make jerky."
"Well, when the power went out, I doubt making jerky was the first thing on her mind.", my stepmother interjected, coming to her friend's aid.
"Well shit, it's the first thing I think of!" I slumped my shoulders, half-closed my eyes, and did my best Captain Caveman impression. "Ugh, no lights. Make Jerky!"

The ensuing silence and gaping expressions were a perfect backdrop for my chuckling exit to the kitchen.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.