(Hinduism, Gaudiya Vaishnavism; Bengali)

Ucchvasa-nama-kirtana
(The Enlivening Names of Gaura)

by Srila Bhaktivinode Thakura

(1)
kali-kukkura-kadana jadi cao he,
kaliyuga-pavana kali-vhaya-nasana
sri sacinananda gao he

If you want to subdue the dog of Kali, then sing out the names of Sri Sacinandana, who purifies the age of quarrel [Kali Yuga], putting an end to all fear.

(2)
gadadhara-madana nitayer prana-dhana
advaitera papujita gora
nimañi visvambhara srinivasa isvara
bhakta-samuha-cita-cora

He is Nimai, Visvambhara, the support of the universe, the intoxicator of Gadadhara Pandita, the life breath of Nitai, the worshipable object of Advaita Prabhu, the Lord of Srivasa Pandita, and the robber of the thoughts of all the other Navadvipa devotees.

(3)
nadiya sasadhara mayapura-isvara
nama-pravartana-sura
grhi-jana-siksaka nyasi-kula-nayaka
madhava radha-bhava-pura

He is the moon of Nadia, the Lord of Mayapura; he is the divine being who has come to inaugurate the chanting of the Holy Names. He teaches the householders [grhi] how to live and he leads the community of renunciates [nyasi]. He is Madhava, filled with the mood of Radha.

(4)
sarvabhauma-sodhana gajapati-tarana
ramananda-posana vira
rupananda-vardhana sanatana-palana
hari-dasa-modana dhira

He corrected Sarvabhauma Bhattacarya of his erroneous philosophical views; he delivered the King of Orissa, and he nourished Ramananda Raya's spiritual hunder like a hero. He increased the joy of Rupa Gosvami, protected Sanatana Prabhu, and enlivened Haridasa Thakura.

(5)
vraja-rasa-bhavana dusta-mata-satana
kapati-vighatana-kama
suddha-bhakta-palana suska-jñana-tadana
chala-bhakti-dusana rama

He was absorbed in thought of the moods of Vrindavana; he defeated the ideas of the wicked; he always desired to expost the hypocrites. He protected the pure devotees [suddha-bhakta] and showed the inadequacy of the God of the philosophers and the failures of pretentious devotion.


<< Back to "Vaishnava Prayers & Songs"

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.