Having recently discovered a love of baking that rivals only my love of eating, this year's Thanksgiving gave me the opportunity to venture into the world of pie. I've attempted to make no-bake pies and have found that they just don't hold up to the real deal. While this cheesecake doesn't require any fancy water techniques or a flair for the dramatic, it's definitely delicious.

This one came from allrecipe.com's "Double Layer Pumpkin Cheesecake," as found in their cookbook, Tried and True Favorites. I made a few substitutions and changes, but the recipe was so yummy that it didn't really need much tweaking. This is quite possibly my new favorite pumpkin cheesecake.

You will need:

  • 16 ounces of softened cream cheese
  • 1/2 cup white sugar
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 2 eggs
  • 3/4 c canned pumpkin
  • 3/4 tsp ground cinnamon
  • 1/4 tsp ground cloves
  • 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
  • 1/2 tsp pumpkin pie spice (or add extra of the others)
  • 1 c Cool-Whip (whipped cream in a spray can will do)
  • 9-inch prepared pie crust (graham cracker recommended)
  • 1 tbsp of cinnamon, cloves, and nutmeg combined to your liking (go easy on the cloves)

Step-by-step:

  1. Preheat oven to 325 F (165 C).


  2. Combine softened cream cheese, sugar, and vanilla and mix extremely well. Add your eggs one by one until the mixture is evenly colored and not too runny.


  3. Take 1 cup of the batter out and spread it over the bottom of your pie crust for Layer #1.


  4. To the remaining batter, add your pumpkin, 3/4 tsp ground cinnamon, 1/4 tsp ground cloves, 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg, and 1/2 tsp pumpkin pie spice. Blend well.


  5. Carefully pour the pumpkin batter over the plain cheesecake batter. With a spatula, lightly spread the pumpkin until it fills the pie crust evenly. The pie won't be evenly flat; it should probably round a little in the center--that's okay. This is Layer #2.


  6. I place my pie on a baking sheet to protect it from spill over, but YMMV. Either way, put it in the oven on the top rack and bake for 35 minutes.


  7. When you take the cheesecake out, it'll still wobble a little but should be slightly golden on the sides. Allow it to cool completely.


  8. In a bowl, gently mix your whipped topping and the mixture of seasonings at the bottom of the ingredients list. Fold the whipped topping over the top of the cooled pie for Layer #3. Alternatively, you could spray whipped topping or spread Cool Whip and then lightly dust the top with the mixture.


  9. Allow the pie to sit in the fridge overnight before serving.

The resulting pumpkin pie is sweet but not overly so and has just the right amount of spice. I like that the bottom layer of "plain" cheesecake cuts through with that little bit of bitter you'd expect. Bon appetit!

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.