There's nothing wrong with tripe. In fact, cow's tripe is very tasty. I had some yesterday for lunch. Just like the liver, heart and other animal organs that are prepared for human consumption, they are thoroughly cleaned before being cooked. Yeah, I eat goose kidney too. You know what's been inside those?

In any case, before cooking tripe myself, I usually soak it in hot water and scrub it a bit for an hour, just to make sure it's clean. Tripe is actually very tasty, especially when spiced up with vinegar and peppers. You should go and try it yourself.

In fact, all these taboo foods are so very tasty. Brain. Tripe. Liver. Tongue. Kidney. Pigeon. Quail. Dog. Cat. Mouse. Snake. You people are missing out some good food. Oh well, not my loss.....

Here's a joke about us Cantonese people: They work hard at any job, but they would suck at zookeeping.

In Romania, tripe soup is almost a traditional meal. For one, I can't stand it (although I eat other taboo foods, like brain, liver and tongue), but my father and most of my friends love it, and it is said that it is the best cure for a hangover.

Something of no value; rubbish; drek. Nonsensical talk or writing.

Synonyms: folderol, trumpery, trash, wish-wash, applesauce.

A very unusual recipe and a speciality of my Grandfather.

Place the tomato juice in large pot and bring to a boil. Peel and slice the carrots and place in the hot tomato juice along with the hot pepper flakes. Add in the pork hocks. Reduce the heat and the the tomato juice to simmer.

Meanwhile, scrape off the fat from the bottom of the tripe. Cut the tripe into small squares and parboil about four times, each time changing the water.

Drain the tripe and add to the tomato sauce. Cook the mixture about 2 hours.

Tripe is the meat from the stomach linings of a ruminant. One of the fun things about ruminants is that they have multiple stomaches. Each of these stomachs, and therefore stomach linings, have different properties. Foodwise, tripe usually falls into one of four categories:

Smooth tripe, AKA plain tripe, flat tripe, gras double or blanket tripe comes from the first stomach, and is usually considered the worst type of tripe.

Honeycomb tripe comes from the second stomach, and is considered the best tripe. It is both meaty and tender.

Pocket tripe comes from the lower part of the second stomach.

Book tripe, AKA bible tripe or leaf tripe comes from the third stomach, and falls between smooth tripe and honeycomb tripe in quality.

Some ruminants have a fourth stomach, but as far as I can find, it doesn't produce usable tripe.

All types of tripe are tough, and are usually cooked for a couple hours before eating. These days, tripe you buy in stores is usually bleached and partly cooked already, to save time. In Western countries, most tripe comes from cattle. Slang to the contrary, tripe is supposed to be very tasty, although somewhat hard to digest.


A short list of tripe recipes:
Pepper pot
Menudo
Flaczki
Tripes a la mode de Caen (all four types of tripe!)
If you have more to add, /msg me.

TRIPE
The belly, or guts. Mr. Double Tripe; a fat man. Tripes and trullibubs; the entrails: also a jeering appellation for a fat man.

The 1811 Dictionary of the Vulgar Tongue.

Tripe (?), n. [OE. tripe, F. tripe; of uncertain origin; cf. Sp. & Pg. tripa, It. trippa, OD. tripe, W. tripa, Armor. stripen.]

1.

The large stomach of ruminating animals, when prepared for food.

How say you to a fat tripe finely broiled ? Shak.

2.

The entrails; hence, humorously or in contempt, the belly; -- generally used in the plural.

Howell.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.