Trinitarian Christian religion involves the doctrine that there are three aspects of the Christian godhead : The Father, The Son, and The Holy Spirit. There is some debate among scholars of comparative religions over the relevance of the similarity between the concept of The Trinity and the Triple Goddesses such as The Three Fates or the Morrigan.

The opposite is Unitarian Christian religion, the doctrine that there is only one manifestation of the Christian godhead.

A Trinitarian is a Christian who believes in the doctrine of the Trinity; that there are three persons in the Christian Godhead. This may be contrasted with Arianism, which is the belief that Christ was created by God as the first creature.

Alternatively, a Trinitarian is a member of Trinity College, Cambridge. Thus, Sir Isaac Newton found himself in the interesting position of being simultaneously an Arian and a Trinitarian.

Trin`i*ta"ri*an (?), a. [Cf. F. trinitaire. See Trinity.]

Of or pertaining to the Trinity, the doctrine of the Trinity, or believers in that doctrine.

 

© Webster 1913.


Trin`i*ta"ri*an, n.

1.

One who believes in the doctrine of the Trinity.

2. Eccl. Hist.

One of a monastic order founded in Rome in 1198 by St. John of Matha, and an old French hermit, Felix of Valois, for the purpose of redeeming Christian captives from the Mohammedans.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.