City in the west of Germany located at the Mosel river, near the border to Luxemburg. It is said to be Germany's oldest city, originally founded in roman times as Augusta Treverorum by emperor Augustus. It was even the capital of the western roman empire for some time when the empire was split in eastern and westen rome.

Today, the city has just under 100.000 registered inhabitants, not counting the surrounding villages, a fact greatly bemoaned by city officials, as 100.000 inhabitants is the limit for bigger state subsidies.

It's picturesque inner city as well as the remaining roman ruins make it a popular site for tourists from all over Europe, America and Asian. Best known are the Porta Nigra, the constantinian basilica, the cathedral, an amphi-theatre and the Kaiserthermen (ruins of an old roman bathhouse complete with catacombs)

Trier has 2 universities and a priest's college with about 14.000 students, so there is a lot of young people. One would expect this to also lead to an interesting nightlife, but sadly, this is not the case. In general, the city doesn't really cater to the younger populace. Trier once had it's own brewery and brewhouse, Löwenbräu, which was a fun spot to be, but that was torn down a couple of years ago to make room for appartments.

Trier is also the birthplace of Karl Marx, the writer of the communist manifesto, and Guildo Horn, the writer of many schlager (german for hit) parodies. It has a moderately successful 3rd league soccer team, and good first league ice hockey and basketball teams.

Tri"er (?), n. [From Try.]

1.

One who tries; one who makes experiments; one who examines anything by a test or standard.

Boyle.

2.

One who tries judicially.

3. Law

A person appointed according to law to try challenges of jurors; a trior.

Burrill.

4.

That which tries or approves; a test.

Shak.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.