Commuter train line in South Florida, running from Mangonia Park in West Palm to Miami International Airport. It is a joint venture of Dade, Broward, and Palm Beach County, and uses a single seventy-mile track that is occasionally shared with Amtrak's Atlantic Coast trains.

The Tri-Rail's single track is one of its main drawbacks: it severely limits the line's capacity, especially when Amtrak has to pass through. A second Tri-Rail track is currently in the works, and mandates replacing scores of level crossings. Some northern stretches of the second track have already been constructed.

Another problem with the Tri-Rail is that its airport stations in West Palm, Fort Lauderdale, and Miami are actually quite far from the terminals, requiring connecting shuttle bus service. Fort Lauderdale is currently designing a light rail to link the terminals to the train station, but Miami and West Palm have been slower to respond.

Tri-Rail trains have double decker cars and diesel engines: they are comfortable, but fairly slow, and constantly blow their whistles. Still, it's a great way to get around the area if you don't want to drive, and it connects to Miami's Metrorail line that runs to downtown and points south.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.