Pronunciation: TRAN-scene

Generic name(s): clorazepate

Drug class: benzodiazepine

Indications: Tranxene is used for the short-term relief of the symptoms of anxiety disorders, and may also be used in the treatment of partial seizures.

How supplied: 3.75-mg, 7.5-mg, or 15-mg tablets; also available in 11.25-mg and 22.5-mg sustained-release tablets.

Dosage for adults: 7.5-90 mg.

Dosage for children: For children 9-12, 7.5-60 mg; for children over 12, same as adults.

Contraindications: Patients with acute narrow-angle glaucoma should not take Tranxene. Pregnant women should not use Tranxene, as it can damage the baby; nursing women should not use it either, as it is known to be excreted in breast milk. Benzodiazepines should not be combined with alcohol or other CNS depressants.

Precautions: Patients with liver, kidney, or other metabolic disorders may be more severely affected by Tranxene; they should generally be started on lower doses and should be carefully monitored to ensure that they're not oversedated. Patients who are taking Tranxene for long periods should receive periodic tests of blood count and liver function. As with all benzodiazepines, Tranxene is a dangerous drug to prescribe to depressed or suicidal patients, as they may intentionally overdose; if absolutely necessary, patients should be given only a few pills at a time of the lowest possible dose. Patients should not abruptly stop using the drug, as rebound insomnia and increased anxiety may result.

Interactions: Tranxene can adversely interact with any other drug that affects the central nervous system, including anticonvulsants, antihistamines, barbiturates, MAO inhibitors, narcotics, phenothiazines, etc.

Common Side-Effects: Drowsiness, dizziness, gastrointestinal upset, nervousness, blurry vision, dry mouth, headache, confusion.

Warnings: As with all benzodiazepines, patients can become dependent on Tranxene and should not take it regularly for long periods of time lest they go into withdrawal when they stop taking it. Benzodiazepines can also slow reaction time and cause drowsiness, so patients must avoid driving, operating dangerous machinery, or engaging in hazardous activity until they know how the drug affects them.

Date of most recent update: 1/30/03

This writeup is intended only to provide information, not to recommend the prescription or use of this medication.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.