The world of Ultima Online is divided up into many partitions. To show the enormous amount of processing required for Ultima, observe the following.

When you begin the game, you are put in a singular world. In that enormous world, there are six servers that comprise the world, which meet each other at "server lines" to attempt to create a fluent world. There is also a seventh server known as "The Lost Lands" available for UO.

In addition, each shard of Ultima has two worlds, Felucca and Trammel. Trammel is the new shard of each server, where playerkilling is outlawed unless members of opposing guilds agree to combat. The rules for pushing people out of the way do not apply in Trammel, and you can go running through miles of people without losing a single point of stamina.

Tram"mel (?), n. [F. tramail, tr'email, a net, LL. tremaculum, tremacle, a kind of net for taking fish; L. tres three + macula a mesh. See Three, and Mail armor.]

1.

A kind of net for catching birds, fishes, or other prey.

Carew.

2.

A net for confining a woman's hair.

Spenser.

3.

A kind of shackle used for regulating the motions of a horse and making him amble.

4.

Fig.: Whatever impedes activity, progress, or freedom, as a net or shackle.

[They] disdain the trammels of any sordid contract. Jeffrey.

5.

An iron hook of various forms and sizes, used for handing kettles and other vessels over the fire.

6. Mech. (a)

An instrument for drawing ellipses, one part of which consists of a cross with two grooves at right angles to each other, the other being a beam carrying two pins (which slide in those grooves), and also the describing pencil.

(b)

A beam compass. See under Beam.

 

© Webster 1913.


Tram"mel (?), v. t. [imp. & p. p. Trammeled (?) or Trammelled; p. pr. & vb. n. Trammeling, or Trammelling.]

1.

To entangle, as in a net; to catch.

[R.]

Shak.

2.

To confine; to hamper; to shackle.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.