One of The Twelve Swords

The Sword of Fury
Symbol: a sword above a crenelated wall

Townsaver is the most savage Sword of the Twelve. When held in a situation where innocent lives are in peril, Townsaver will unleash a furious storm wherever it can be brought to bear. Unfortunately, this Sword, in pursuing its offensive path, neglects defensive action, and does not prevent its holder from being struck in return. However, as long as the battle continues, the wielder of Townsaver will not fall from his wounds. This weapon has been instrumental in holding invading armies at bay.

Long roads the Sword of Fury makes
Hard walls it builds around the soft
The fighter who Townsaver takes
Can bid farewell to home and croft.

One of the Twelve Swords from Fred Saberhagen's Book of Swords series.

Townsaver was left with Jord, the only one of the human helpers conscripted by Vulcan in the forging to survive. While the other's blood was used to quench the blades, Vulcan simply cut off Jord's right arm.

Like all the Swords, Townsaver has an identifying mark on the handle/hilt. In this case, a design that brings to mind the crenellations atop a defensive wall, with what looks like an arm holding a sword behind it.

The sword's power is the ability to defend non-combatants in a dwelling that is being attacked. Unfortunately, it does not care about the person wielding the weapon. In the series, the protagonist Mark's brother as well as the dragon hunter Nestor were killed while wielding Townsaver.

Townsaver was destroyed during the seige of Tassavalta when Vulcan engaged someone wielding Townsaver while Vulcan himself was wielding Shieldbreaker. Doomgiver was also likewise destroyed.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.