Tomoyasu Hotei is a Japanese rock musician of superstar status in his native Japan, with more than 25 million records sold, but relatively unknown in the west, although there have been a few of his albums released in the west as well, the latest being Supersonic Generation in 1998. He was the special guest star on David Bowie's '96 concert in Tokyo, and together with star componist Michael Kamen he showed his musical prowess at the 1986 closing ceremony of the Atlanta Olympic Games. Before staring his solo career he was the lead guitarrist and co-founder of the punk rock-band Boowy (1979-1988). At the last concert of Boowy, Last Gig, more then 100.000 fans were present.

He was born on the first of February 1962, which makes him an Aquarius. He has blood type B (blood type is said to have an influence on one's character in Japan). Beside being an acknowledged musician, he has also had various stints as an actor, appearing in several movies, the most noteable being Samurai Fiction, where he played the renegade swordsman who "stole" the clan's sword, a mean mother you don't want to mess with. He also provided the entire soundtrack for this movie. He is also featured in a string of commercials for coffee, I think.

His solo music features a strong lead guitar, which he plays, and excellent, rocking melodies. He also provided the soundtracks to Terry Gilliam's Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas. I'd suggest checking out a track or two to sample his talent.

Discography:

Apart from these albums he also released a string of singles, the latest of which being Russian Roulette in 2002. He also has a new tour going and a new album is due out soon. Other titles include Vampire, Love Junkie and many more.

Before staring his solo career he was the lead guitarrist of the rock-band Boowy (1979-1988). At the last concert of Boowy, Last Gig, more then 100.000 fans were present.

As usual, here's a few links:

  • http://www.hotei.com, his official japanese language homepage

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.