Dead Simple Tomato Bisque
This soup was first given to me by a resident of a building that I worked in as a security guard. It is embarrassingly easy to make and has a rich full unusual flavor guaranteed to impress. It is an excellent appetizer for dinner parties and dates as it can be prepared ahead of time, multiplied easily and is good hot or cold. It is light, rich and not too filling, perfect for that first cooking for her/him at your house date. I have yet to serve it to some one and not have them heartily impressed. Ingredients: Tomato juice (Juice not soup.) Orange juice (Pulp free preferably not from concentrate.) Beef consume ( I prefer Campbell’s) All in equal proportion Salt and pepper to taste (I prefer not to but some insist) Optional: A dollop of sour cream Fresh cilantro or coriander Instructions: I usually start with the Beef Consume, make it as per the instructions on the can. Then use the can to add proportionate amounts of Orange juice and Tomato juice. I then bring it to a gentle boil (not rolling to hard) for 20 minutes or so.. I go more by the look of the soup as the color will change as you cook it and will stop changing when it is cooked. Once it is cooked, have a taste and decide if you want to add salt and pepper to taste. I say this as I rarely add it and any one who finds it bland can add it before they eat. You can now serve or let cool and refrigerate for later. If you are going to serve it you can put a dollop of sour cream in each bowl after the soup and/or you can snip fresh cilantro or coriander on top which is quite tasty. This soup seems too simple without the optional ingredients but do not worry it will stand completely on its own, I promise you. If you aren’t going to do any of the optional ingredients and you are worried about it looking boring you can put a sprig of parsley on top. In order to multiply this recipe all you need to do is keep the main ingredients proportionate and increase it to your hearts content. Need an appetizer for an army, here you go!
Tomato Bisque

Ingredients

2 tbsp butter
3 tbsp flour
2 cups milk (can use soy milk)
2 cups tomato puree
1 tsp dried basil
2 cups cooked brown rice
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
salt and pepper to taste

In saucepan, melt butter over medium-low heat and whisk in flour. Stir for 3 minutes. Gradually stir in milk. Simmer until thickened. Add tomato puree, basil and brown rice. Simmer for another 5 minutes. Remove from heat. Stir in slat, pepper, and cheese. About 5 servings.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.