1931- American author and Journalist

He was born in and grew up in Richmond, Virginia. He got a degree from Washington and Lee University. He got his Ph.D from Yale in "American Studies". He worked as a reporter for several papers including the Springfield Union, The Washington Post, and the New York Herald Tribune. He also wrote stories for Harper's, Forbes, Rolling Stone and Esquire. He taught at the New School for Social Research. Writers he admires include Honoré de Balzac, William Thackeray and Émile Zola. He says this is because they immersed themselves in the world in which they lived an reported on it. He has a very famous conflict with other American authors: John Updike, Norman Mailer and John Irving. The current writer he likes the best is Douglas Coupland. He claims responsibility for introducing several terms into the popular vocabulary including, "The Me Decade" meant to describe the self centered attitudes of the 80's. "The Right Stuff" which is what you need to be an Astronaut. He also takes credit for the term "good ol' boy" which he used in an article about race driver Junior Johnson from North Carolina.

His best selling books include

He also wrote a very famous article called "The Me Decade and the Third Great Awakening".

He is known to wear white suits almost exclusively. Recently I saw a special on Mark Twain, who had the same habit in his later years. Coincidence???

Related nodes:

Editors Note:Tom Wolfe died from an infection in Manhattan on May 14, 2018. He was 88 years old.


Sources: http://www.tomwolfe.com/authbio.htm http://www.bookbrowse.com/index.cfm?page=author&authorID=319 http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/examiner/archive/1998/11/29/MAGAZINE8088.dtl Last Updated 04.15.04

I happen to be in the same grade in school as the man's son, Tommy. You wouldn't tell just by looking at him, I'll tell you that. He's a pretty nice kid, likes gangsta rap a heck of a lot. Acts out in class.

Last year,when Daddy-o was GQ's Man of the Year, a bunch of people wrote something along the lines of "Tommy's dad is a sexy stud!" in his yearbook. And of course, whenever anybody reports on a book by the ol' man, they refer to him only as "Tommy's dad."

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.