Based on Robert Heinlein's novel SPACE CADET published in 1948, "Tom Corbett, Space Cadet" was something of a multimedia phenomenon from 1950-55. Books, comics, and all manner of radio and TV versions were produced in great abundance during this period. This futuristic property was used to educate and encourage young minds to get interested in space travel and science.

According to the Enterprise Mission site and Richard C. Hoagland, it appears that it was used for something more -- to educate and encourage young minds about the reality of the Exploding Planet Hypothesis, the Face on Mars, artifacts on the Moon, and Hyperdimensional Physics. For there, buried in a series of View Master slides created in 1955, four years before "Brookings," is virtually the entire history of the Cydonia investigation in one form or another. The story begins with the Space Cadets examing an alien artifact.

The story, found on the Viewmaster slides, is as follows:

Found by a miner in the Asteroid Belt, this tetrahedral pyramid is inscribed with Egyptian style hieroglyphs and floats 2 inches above any surface upon which it is placed. Earth's best scientists are at a loss to explain how the pyramid is defying gravity. Captain Strong explains that Earth's scientists think that the asteroids are remnants of an exploded planet between Mars and Jupiter, and that this tetrahedral artifact is a piece of technology from an advanced civilization which flourished there millions of years ago. The Space Cadet team is assigned to investigate, and they decide to start on the Moon, where many years before a similar tetrahedral pyramid was found on the dark side. So, off to the Moon they go in their rocket ship, the Polaris.

Upon arriving on the Moon, our crew locates the mysterious pyramid and notices that it is missing its capstone. Deducing that the pyramid found in the Asteroid Belt might be the missing capstone, they place it upon the stone tetrahedral pyramid. The capstone seems to jump out of Tom's hand and lock in place. As it does so, the now reassembled tetrahedral pyramid turns transparent and reveals a globe of the planet Mars contained inside. There is a red mark on the globe, indicating a signpost of some type. This marker, curiously, is tangential to a key "tetrahedral lattitude" -- 19.5 degrees. Deciding they are supposed to follow the lead, the crew heads back to the ship to head to Mars to investigate.

Meanwhile, a rival group to the Solar Guard has discovered that the crew of the "Polaris" are looking for an ancient artifact that can give them (and Earth) advanced anti-gravity technology. So, spies are dispatched to assure that Interplanetary Crime gets "the Secret" first.

Upon arriving at the Martian colony of Marsport, Tom meets with Dr. Joan Dale, and explains that the globe they found indicates there are ruins on Mars at the junctions of canals 7 and 19. Dr. Dale shows him a partial map that was discovered years before. She tells him it is of an archeological site near the canal junctions where there was once a pyramid over 1,000 feet high but that is now in ruin. As they make plans to head there, an Interplanetary Crime spy decides to follow them.

When they arrive at the site, amid Egyptian style obelisks and under a terraformed blue Martian sky, Tom and Dr. Dale discover yet another ancient artifact. This time it is a sculpted Face of a feline-like creature. Between the paws of the creature, they discover an image of a shattered planet whose fragments form into a belt of Asteroids. Below that is a strange numbering system. Taking this to be an indication that they need to go back to the Asteroid Belt where the original capstone was found, they return to Marsport to try and determine what the numbers mean. Using the massive Solarguard mainframe computer, Dr. Dale figures out that the numbers are coordinates for an asteroid discovered in 1993 and named XKG-385fr. However, agents for the Interplanetary Crime unit kidnap her and head off for the asteroid to get the secret to anti-gravity devices.

In hot pursuit, Tom and the Polaris follow the IC ship and discover that they have landed on a small asteroid. Landing, they find an entrance to the interior of the asteroid. Upon entering, a fist fight ensues and the Spaceguard boys win the day. They discover some projection equipment and watch and learn about the race that built this asteroid as a "time tomb." Eventually, they take their discoveries back to Earth and conduct experiments on anti-gravity technology, in secret.

The information was provided by the Enterprise Mission website at http://www.enterprisemission.com and has been edited for clarification

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.