Thanks to the good folks at www.orkin.com for the following recipe.

Ingredients


  1. 3/4 cup tightly packed brown sugar
  2. 1/3 cup butter
  3. 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
  4. 1/2 cup live mealworms (available at a bait shop)

Equipment

  1. colander
  2. paper towels
  3. cookie sheet
  4. cutting board and knife
  5. saucepan
  6. baking pan
  7. rubber spatula
  8. oven with range
  9. refrigerator

Preparation

  1. Mealworms usually come in a container with loose packing material. Separate the mealworms from the packaging by dumping into a colander and gently tossing. Remove any dead worms and wash under cold water. Remove the clean, live worms from the colander, place them on a paper towel, and pat dry.
  2. Place a paper towel on the cookie sheet, then spread the worms on the paper towel. Bake at 200 degrees for one or two hours, until they are dry and crunchy. They are not dry roasted.
  3. Coarsely chop the dry-roasted mealworms and set aside.
  4. Butter the baking pan.
  5. Carefully heat the sugar and butter in the saucepan, stirring with the spatula, until the mixture is boiling. Stir over medium heat for about 7 minutes, then remove from heat and stir in the mealworms. Pour into the baking pan.
  6. Sprinkle the chocolate chips over the hot mixture and quickly cover the pan for 5 minutes to let the chocolate melt. Remove the cover and spread the melted chocolate evenly over the toffee. While still warm, cut into small squares.
  7. Refrigerate until firm. Serve at your next pot luck.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.