a member of a Mongolian people inhabiting Tibet who practice a form of Mahayana Buddhism, introduced in the 7th Century. Since China's Cultural Revolution of 1966-68, refugee communities formed in India and Nepal. The Tibetan language belongs to the Sino-Tibetan language family.

The Tibetan language is spoken over a wide area of the Himalayas, roughly corresponding to the furthest extent of the historical Tibetan empire. It covers not just the Tibet Autonomous Region but other adjoining areas of China and other countries, of which the most prominent Tibetan areas are Bhutan, the Sherpas of Nepal, Ladakh in Indian Kashmir, and Baltistan in Pakistani Kashmir.

In such a compass there is a great range of dialects, with decreasing mututal intelligibility depending on distance. Modern Bhutan is promoting one of its own varieties as a national language called Dzongkha. There is also a standard Ladakhi language based on the dialect of Leh. The Lhasa variety of Central Tibetan is often used as the lingua franca of all the Tibetan-speaking areas.

What really unites the dialects is the fact that they use the same written form, which may be called Classical Tibetan. From about the seventh and eighth centuries Buddhist literature was translated from Sanskrit into Tibetan and formed the basis of a rich indigenous literature.

The classical language is characterized by a very heavy use of initial consonant clusters, and a lot of final consonants. Modern dialects can be classified by how archaic they are with respect to these phonological aspects. Lhasa Tibetan is non-archaic, and such dialects in losing some of their consonants have gained a greater variety in vowel sounds, including length, tone, and nasalization. Both stress and vowel harmony affect the pronunciations of vowels a lot.

(My crude rule of thumb is to strip off consonants from the outside until you can pronounce it: so turn brdzags into zag or even za. This isn't nearly right in all cases, but it'll be roughly right perhaps half the time. See the website below for some of the many "special rules" that govern this process.)

The native name for Tibet is written Bod, Lhasa spoken , and the language is Bod-skad or Pöge. The capital Lhasa is now pronounced Lhesa, and has a voiceless L or lateral fricative.

Further afield, Tibetan is related to Burmese and to many minor languages of Myanmar and of neighbouring parts of India and China. These are grouped as the Tibeto-Burman family. Since the diversity is greatest in Myanmar and the Tibetan dialects have not had time to split into fully independent languages, it is probable that the Tibetans are relatively recent newcomers into Tibet, and the language might have been spread by the growth of the empire from the seventh century onward. The main Chinese languages form a more distant branch related to Tibeto-Burman, and the largest family identifiable is called Sino-Tibetan.

As an example of distance of relatedness, the Tibetan for 'one' and 'two' are written gcig and gnyis, Lhasa spoken chi and nyi. The Mandarin Chinese are yi and èr, the Sino-Japanese are iti and ni, and the Cantonese are yat and i. These Chinese forms show considerable wear and tear from their Ancient Chinese reconstructed ancestors yet and nzhi; but these are still simple compared to the Tibetan. In the intermediate Burmese they are tach and hnach.

Grammatical features. Tibetan noun phrases are head-initial, that is adjectives and other qualifiers and case markings follow the noun. It is SOV, that is verbs come last in their clause. Verbs may have several stems, present, past, future, and imperative. In the Lhasa dialect there is very little phonetic difference between them, usually none, but in written Tibetan they come in a complicated array of conjugations, with vowel ablaut as well as variation in the surrounding consonants: the past usually has the prefix b-, but it is difficult to make any other wide generalizations.

Inflected verbs consist of stems followed by tense/aspect particles and an auxiliary. These express a number of shades: subjective or objective, certain or doubtful or hearsay, intentional or unintentional.

Many words have honorific forms, sometimes etymologically unrelated but often formed by various prefixes on the plain form: these denote respect for the person referred to by the word (or its owner or subject); there is also a small class of respectful words for when respect is paid to the addressee, regardless of whether they figure in the sentence.

Denwood, P. (1999) Tibetan, John Benjamins

Special rules for phonetic transcription: http://iris.lib.virginia.edu/tibet/xml/showEssay.php?xml=/collections/langling/THDL_phonetics.xml&l=d1e671

Obviously my transcriptions here have to be inexact. If I wanted to give more detail about sound I'd have to use a complicated variety of phonetic alphabet.

The Tibetan script is used for writing Tibetan, of the Sino-Tibetan language family, throughout the Himalayas. Aside from Tibet itself, the script is used in Ladakh, Nepal and northern India. The Tibetan script is also used in Bhutan to write Dzongkha, the official language of that country. Tibetan is also used as the language of philosophy and liturgy by Buddhist traditions spread from Tibet into the Mongolian cultural area that encompasses Mongolia, Buriatia, Kalmykia and Tuva.

The Tibetan scripting and grammatical systems were originally defined together in the 6th century by royal decree when the Tibetan King Songtsen Gampo sent 16 men to India to study Indian language. One of these men, Thumi Sambhota, is credited with creating the Tibetan writing system. The king's primary purpose was to bring Buddhism from India to Tibet, so the new script system was therefore designed with compatibility extensions for Indic (i.e. Sanskrit) transliteration.

Thumi Sambhota's original grammar defined two script styles. The first, called uchen (dbu-can, "with head"), is a formal inscriptional capitals style said to be based on an old form of Devanagari. It is the script used in Tibetan xylograph book. The second style, u-mey (dbu-med, "headless"), is more cursive and said to be based on the Wartu script.

Tibetan has 30 consonants, each represented by a discrete written character. There are five vowel sounds, only four of which are represented by written marks, applied above or below a consonant. The absence of one of these four marks implies the presence of the fifth vowel.

Each word in Tibetan has a base consonant, which can be written singly or have other consonants added above or below to make a stacked letter. Tibetan grammar has a set of rules regarding letter gender, which dictate which letters can be written in adjacent positions. Native Tibetan words never break these rules, but when transcribing other languages (e.g. Sanskrit or Chinese) these rules do not operate.


Unicode's Tibetan code block reserves the 256 code points from U+0F00 to U+0FFF, of which 201 are currently assigned.

Lao <-- Tibetan --> Myanmar

Number of characters added in each version of the Unicode standard :
Unicode 2.0 : 168
Unicode 3.0 : 25
Unicode 4.1 : 2
Unicode 5.1 : 6

Number of characters in each General Category :

Letter, Other            Lo : 49
Mark, Non-Spacing        Mn : 71
Mark, Spacing Combining  Mc :  3
Number, Decimal Digit    Nd : 10
Number, Other            No : 10
Punctuation, Open        Ps :  2
Punctuation, Close       Pe :  2
Punctuation, Other       Po : 21
Symbol, Other            So : 33

Number of characters in each Bidirectional Category :

Left To Right       L :126
Non Spacing Mark  NSM : 71
Other Neutral      ON :  4

The columns below should be interpreted as :

  1. The Unicode code for the character
  2. The character in question
  3. The Unicode name for the character
  4. The Unicode General Category for the character
  5. The Unicode Bidirectional Category for the character
  6. The Unicode version when this character was added

If the characters below show up poorly, or not at all, see Unicode Support for possible solutions.

 

Tibetan

     Syllable

U+0F00   ༀ   Tibetan syllable om Lo L 2.0

     Head marks

U+0F01   ༁   Tibetan mark gter yig mgo truncated a So L 2.0
U+0F02   ༂   Tibetan mark gter yig mgo um rnam bcad ma So L 2.0
U+0F03   ༃   Tibetan mark gter yig mgo um gter tsheg ma So L 2.0
U+0F04   ༄   Tibetan mark initial yig mgo mdun ma Po L 2.0
* honorific; marks beginning of text or start of new folio
ref U+1800   ᠀   Mongolian birga (Mongolian)
U+0F05   ༅   Tibetan mark closing yig mgo sgab ma Po L 2.0
* follows and ligates with initial yig-mgo
U+0F06   ༆   Tibetan mark caret yig mgo phur shad ma Po L 2.0
U+0F07   ༇   Tibetan mark yig mgo tsheg shad ma Po L 2.0

     Marks and signs

U+0F08   ༈   Tibetan mark sbrul shad Po L 2.0
* separates sections of meaning equivalent to topics and sub-topics
U+0F09   ༉   Tibetan mark bskur yig mgo Po L 2.0
* list enumerator, used in Bhutan
U+0F0A   ༊   Tibetan mark bka shog yig mgo Po L 2.0
* petition honorific, used in Bhutan
U+0F0B   ་   Tibetan mark intersyllabic tsheg Po L 2.0
* morpheme delimiter (approximate meaning)
* the normal tsheg; provides a break opportunity
* character name is a misnomer
U+0F0C   ༌   Tibetan mark delimiter tsheg bstar Po L 2.0
* a non-breaking tsheg; inhibits line breaking
* character name is a misnomer
U+0F0D   །   Tibetan mark shad Po L 2.0
* marks end of a section of text (tshig-grub)
ref U+0964   ।   Devanagari danda (Devanagari)
U+0F0E   ༎   Tibetan mark nyis shad Po L 2.0
* marks end of a whole topic (don-tshan)
ref U+0965   ॥   Devanagari double danda (Devanagari)
U+0F0F   ༏   Tibetan mark tsheg shad Po L 2.0
U+0F10   ༐   Tibetan mark nyis tsheg shad Po L 2.0
U+0F11   ༑   Tibetan mark rin chen spungs shad Po L 2.0
* shad which follows a tsheg-bar that starts a new line
U+0F12   ༒   Tibetan mark rgya gram shad Po L 2.0
U+0F13   ༓   Tibetan mark caret dzud rtags me long can So L 2.0
U+0F14   ༔   Tibetan mark gter tsheg So L 2.0
* used as a comma-like text delimiter
ref U+17D6   ៖   Khmer sign camnuc pii kuuh (Khmer)

     Astrological signs

U+0F15   ༕   Tibetan logotype sign chad rtags So L 2.0
U+0F16   ༖   Tibetan logotype sign lhag rtags So L 2.0
U+0F17   ༗   Tibetan astrological sign sgra gcan char rtags So L 2.0
U+0F18   ༘   Tibetan astrological sign khyud pa Mn NSM 2.0
* combines with digits
U+0F19   ༙   Tibetan astrological sign sdong tshugs Mn NSM 2.0
* combines with digits
U+0F1A   ༚   Tibetan sign rdel dkar gcig So L 2.0
U+0F1B   ༛   Tibetan sign rdel dkar gnyis So L 2.0
U+0F1C   ༜   Tibetan sign rdel dkar gsum So L 2.0
U+0F1D   ༝   Tibetan sign rdel nag gcig So L 2.0
U+0F1E   ༞   Tibetan sign rdel nag gnyis So L 2.0
U+0F1F   ༟   Tibetan sign rdel dkar rdel nag So L 2.0

     Digits

U+0F20   ༠   Tibetan digit zero Nd L 2.0
U+0F21   ༡   Tibetan digit one Nd L 2.0
U+0F22   ༢   Tibetan digit two Nd L 2.0
U+0F23   ༣   Tibetan digit three Nd L 2.0
U+0F24   ༤   Tibetan digit four Nd L 2.0
U+0F25   ༥   Tibetan digit five Nd L 2.0
U+0F26   ༦   Tibetan digit six Nd L 2.0
U+0F27   ༧   Tibetan digit seven Nd L 2.0
U+0F28   ༨   Tibetan digit eight Nd L 2.0
U+0F29   ༩   Tibetan digit nine Nd L 2.0

     Digits minus half

U+0F2A   ༪   Tibetan digit half one No L 2.0
U+0F2B   ༫   Tibetan digit half two No L 2.0
U+0F2C   ༬   Tibetan digit half three No L 2.0
U+0F2D   ༭   Tibetan digit half four No L 2.0
U+0F2E   ༮   Tibetan digit half five No L 2.0
U+0F2F   ༯   Tibetan digit half six No L 2.0
U+0F30   ༰   Tibetan digit half seven No L 2.0
U+0F31   ༱   Tibetan digit half eight No L 2.0
U+0F32   ༲   Tibetan digit half nine No L 2.0
U+0F33   ༳   Tibetan digit half zero No L 2.0

     Marks and signs

U+0F34   ༴   Tibetan mark bsdus rtags So L 2.0
* repetition
U+0F35   ༵   Tibetan mark ngas bzung nyi zla Mn NSM 2.0
* honorific, emphasis; used like underlining
U+0F36   ༶   Tibetan mark caret dzud rtags bzhi mig can So L 2.0
* marks point of text insertion or annotation
U+0F37   ༷   Tibetan mark ngas bzung sgor rtags Mn NSM 2.0
* emphasis; used like underlining
U+0F38   ༸   Tibetan mark che mgo So L 2.0
U+0F39   ༹   Tibetan mark tsa phru Mn NSM 2.0
* a lenition mark

     Paired punctuation

U+0F3A   ༺   Tibetan mark gug rtags gyon Ps ON 2.0
U+0F3B   ༻   Tibetan mark gug rtags gyas Pe ON 2.0
* brackets
U+0F3C   ༼   Tibetan mark ang khang gyon Ps ON 2.0
U+0F3D   ༽   Tibetan mark ang khang gyas Pe ON 2.0
* used for bracketing with a roof over

     Astrological signs

U+0F3E   ༾   Tibetan sign yar tshes Mc L 2.0
U+0F3F   ༿   Tibetan sign mar tshes Mc L 2.0
* marks which combine with digits

     Consonants

U+0F40   ཀ   Tibetan letter ka Lo L 2.0
U+0F41   ཁ   Tibetan letter kha Lo L 2.0
U+0F42   ག   Tibetan letter ga Lo L 2.0
U+0F43   གྷ   Tibetan letter gha Lo L 2.0
U+0F44   ང   Tibetan letter nga Lo L 2.0
U+0F45   ཅ   Tibetan letter ca Lo L 2.0
U+0F46   ཆ   Tibetan letter cha Lo L 2.0
U+0F47   ཇ   Tibetan letter ja Lo L 2.0
U+0F49   ཉ   Tibetan letter nya Lo L 2.0
U+0F4A   ཊ   Tibetan letter tta Lo L 2.0
U+0F4B   ཋ   Tibetan letter ttha Lo L 2.0
U+0F4C   ཌ   Tibetan letter dda Lo L 2.0
U+0F4D   ཌྷ   Tibetan letter ddha Lo L 2.0
U+0F4E   ཎ   Tibetan letter nna Lo L 2.0
U+0F4F   ཏ   Tibetan letter ta Lo L 2.0
U+0F50   ཐ   Tibetan letter tha Lo L 2.0
U+0F51   ད   Tibetan letter da Lo L 2.0
U+0F52   དྷ   Tibetan letter dha Lo L 2.0
U+0F53   ན   Tibetan letter na Lo L 2.0
U+0F54   པ   Tibetan letter pa Lo L 2.0
U+0F55   ཕ   Tibetan letter pha Lo L 2.0
U+0F56   བ   Tibetan letter ba Lo L 2.0
U+0F57   བྷ   Tibetan letter bha Lo L 2.0
U+0F58   མ   Tibetan letter ma Lo L 2.0
U+0F59   ཙ   Tibetan letter tsa Lo L 2.0
U+0F5A   ཚ   Tibetan letter tsha Lo L 2.0
U+0F5B   ཛ   Tibetan letter dza Lo L 2.0
U+0F5C   ཛྷ   Tibetan letter dzha Lo L 2.0
U+0F5D   ཝ   Tibetan letter wa Lo L 2.0
U+0F5E   ཞ   Tibetan letter zha Lo L 2.0
U+0F5F   ཟ   Tibetan letter za Lo L 2.0
U+0F60   འ   Tibetan letter a Lo L 2.0
U+0F61   ཡ   Tibetan letter ya Lo L 2.0
U+0F62   ར   Tibetan letter ra Lo L 2.0
* when followed by a subjoined letter = ra mgo
U+0F63   ལ   Tibetan letter la Lo L 2.0
U+0F64   ཤ   Tibetan letter sha Lo L 2.0
U+0F65   ཥ   Tibetan letter ssa Lo L 2.0
aka reversed sha
U+0F66   ས   Tibetan letter sa Lo L 2.0
U+0F67   ཧ   Tibetan letter ha Lo L 2.0
U+0F68   ཨ   Tibetan letter A Lo L 2.0
* base for dependent vowels
U+0F69   ཀྵ   Tibetan letter kssa Lo L 2.0
U+0F6A   ཪ   Tibetan letter fixed form ra Lo L 3.0
* fixed-form letter not showing the shape variation of the ordinary ra
* used only in transliteration and transcription
ref U+0F62   ར   Tibetan letter ra (Tibetan)

     Extensions for Balti

U+0F6B   ཫ   Tibetan letter kka Lo L 5.1
U+0F6C   ཬ   Tibetan letter rra Lo L 5.1

     Dependent vowel signs

U+0F71   ཱ   Tibetan vowel sign aa Mn NSM 2.0
aka a-chung
* common, vowel-lengthening mark
U+0F72   ི   Tibetan vowel sign i Mn NSM 2.0
U+0F73   ཱི   Tibetan vowel sign ii Mn NSM 2.0
* use of this character is discouraged
U+0F74   ུ   Tibetan vowel sign u Mn NSM 2.0
U+0F75   ཱུ   Tibetan vowel sign uu Mn NSM 2.0
* use of this character is discouraged
U+0F76   ྲྀ   Tibetan vowel sign vocalic r Mn NSM 2.0
U+0F77   ཷ   Tibetan vowel sign vocalic rr Mn NSM 2.0
* use of this character is strongly discouraged
U+0F78   ླྀ   Tibetan vowel sign vocalic l Mn NSM 2.0
U+0F79   ཹ   Tibetan vowel sign vocalic ll Mn NSM 2.0
* use of this character is strongly discouraged
U+0F7A   ེ   Tibetan vowel sign e Mn NSM 2.0
U+0F7B   ཻ   Tibetan vowel sign ee Mn NSM 2.0
U+0F7C   ོ   Tibetan vowel sign o Mn NSM 2.0
U+0F7D   ཽ   Tibetan vowel sign oo Mn NSM 2.0

     Vocalic modification

U+0F7E   ཾ   Tibetan sign rjes su nga ro Mn NSM 2.0
aka anusvara
U+0F7F   ཿ   Tibetan sign rnam bcad Mc L 2.0
aka visarga

     Dependent vowel signs

U+0F80   ྀ   Tibetan vowel sign reversed i Mn NSM 2.0
U+0F81   ཱྀ   Tibetan vowel sign reversed ii Mn NSM 2.0
* use of this character is discouraged

     Marks and signs

U+0F82   ྂ   Tibetan sign nyi zla naa da Mn NSM 2.0
U+0F83   ྃ   Tibetan sign sna ldan Mn NSM 2.0
ref U+0901   ँ   Devanagari sign candrabindu (Devanagari)
U+0F84   ྄   Tibetan mark halanta Mn NSM 2.0
aka srog med
ref U+094D   ्   Devanagari sign virama (Devanagari)
U+0F85   ྅   Tibetan mark paluta Po L 2.0
* transliteration of Sanskrit avagraha
ref U+093D   ऽ   Devanagari sign avagraha (Devanagari)
U+0F86   ྆   Tibetan sign lci rtags Mn NSM 2.0
U+0F87   ྇   Tibetan sign yang rtags Mn NSM 2.0

     Transliteration head letters

U+0F88   ྈ   Tibetan sign lce tsa can Lo L 2.0
U+0F89   ྉ   Tibetan sign mchu can Lo L 2.0
U+0F8A   ྊ   Tibetan sign gru can rgyings Lo L 2.0
* always followed by 0F82
U+0F8B   ྋ   Tibetan sign gru med rgyings Lo L 2.0

     Subjoined consonants
The subjoined letters for WA, YA, and RA appear in both full and short forms. The short forms, wa.zur, ya-btags, and ra-btags, respectively, are most common and are the forms shown in the charts.

U+0F90   ྐ   Tibetan subjoined letter ka Mn NSM 2.0
U+0F91   ྑ   Tibetan subjoined letter kha Mn NSM 2.0
U+0F92   ྒ   Tibetan subjoined letter ga Mn NSM 2.0
U+0F93   ྒྷ   Tibetan subjoined letter gha Mn NSM 2.0
U+0F94   ྔ   Tibetan subjoined letter nga Mn NSM 2.0
U+0F95   ྕ   Tibetan subjoined letter ca Mn NSM 2.0
U+0F96   ྖ   Tibetan subjoined letter cha Mn NSM 3.0
U+0F97   ྗ   Tibetan subjoined letter ja Mn NSM 2.0
U+0F99   ྙ   Tibetan subjoined letter nya Mn NSM 2.0
U+0F9A   ྚ   Tibetan subjoined letter tta Mn NSM 2.0
U+0F9B   ྛ   Tibetan subjoined letter ttha Mn NSM 2.0
U+0F9C   ྜ   Tibetan subjoined letter dda Mn NSM 2.0
U+0F9D   ྜྷ   Tibetan subjoined letter ddha Mn NSM 2.0
U+0F9E   ྞ   Tibetan subjoined letter nna Mn NSM 2.0
U+0F9F   ྟ   Tibetan subjoined letter ta Mn NSM 2.0
U+0FA0   ྠ   Tibetan subjoined letter tha Mn NSM 2.0
U+0FA1   ྡ   Tibetan subjoined letter da Mn NSM 2.0
U+0FA2   ྡྷ   Tibetan subjoined letter dha Mn NSM 2.0
U+0FA3   ྣ   Tibetan subjoined letter na Mn NSM 2.0
U+0FA4   ྤ   Tibetan subjoined letter pa Mn NSM 2.0
U+0FA5   ྥ   Tibetan subjoined letter pha Mn NSM 2.0
U+0FA6   ྦ   Tibetan subjoined letter ba Mn NSM 2.0
U+0FA7   ྦྷ   Tibetan subjoined letter bha Mn NSM 2.0
U+0FA8   ྨ   Tibetan subjoined letter ma Mn NSM 2.0
U+0FA9   ྩ   Tibetan subjoined letter tsa Mn NSM 2.0
U+0FAA   ྪ   Tibetan subjoined letter tsha Mn NSM 2.0
U+0FAB   ྫ   Tibetan subjoined letter dza Mn NSM 2.0
U+0FAC   ྫྷ   Tibetan subjoined letter dzha Mn NSM 2.0
U+0FAD   ྭ   Tibetan subjoined letter wa Mn NSM 2.0
aka wa-zur, wa-btags (wa ta)
U+0FAE   ྮ   Tibetan subjoined letter zha Mn NSM 3.0
U+0FAF   ྯ   Tibetan subjoined letter za Mn NSM 3.0
U+0FB0   ྰ   Tibetan subjoined letter a Mn NSM 3.0
aka a-chung
* rare, only used for full-sized subjoined letter
ref U+0F71   ཱ   Tibetan vowel sign aa (Tibetan)
U+0FB1   ྱ   Tibetan subjoined letter ya Mn NSM 2.0
aka ya-btags (ya ta)
U+0FB2   ྲ   Tibetan subjoined letter ra Mn NSM 2.0
aka ra-btags (ra ta)
U+0FB3   ླ   Tibetan subjoined letter la Mn NSM 2.0
U+0FB4   ྴ   Tibetan subjoined letter sha Mn NSM 2.0
U+0FB5   ྵ   Tibetan subjoined letter ssa Mn NSM 2.0
aka reversed subjoined sha
U+0FB6   ྶ   Tibetan subjoined letter sa Mn NSM 2.0
U+0FB7   ྷ   Tibetan subjoined letter ha Mn NSM 2.0
U+0FB8   ྸ   Tibetan subjoined letter A Mn NSM 3.0
U+0FB9   ྐྵ   Tibetan subjoined letter kssa Mn NSM 2.0

     Fixed-form subjoined consonants
These characters are used only for transliteration and transcription.

U+0FBA   ྺ   Tibetan subjoined letter fixed form wa Mn NSM 3.0
U+0FBB   ྻ   Tibetan subjoined letter fixed form ya Mn NSM 3.0
U+0FBC   ྼ   Tibetan subjoined letter fixed form ra Mn NSM 3.0

     Signs

U+0FBE   ྾   Tibetan ku ru kha So L 3.0
* often repeated three times; indicates a refrain
U+0FBF   ྿   Tibetan ku ru kha bzhi mig can So L 3.0
* marks point of text insertion or annotation
ref U+203B   ※   reference mark (General Punctuation)

     Cantillation signs

U+0FC0   ࿀   Tibetan cantillation sign heavy beat So L 3.0
* marks a heavy drum beat
U+0FC1   ࿁   Tibetan cantillation sign light beat So L 3.0
* marks a light drum beat
U+0FC2   ࿂   Tibetan cantillation sign cang te u So L 3.0
* symbol of a small Tibetan hand drum
U+0FC3   ࿃   Tibetan cantillation sign sbub chal So L 3.0
* symbol of a Tibetan cymbal

     Symbols

U+0FC4   ࿄   Tibetan symbol dril bu So L 3.0
* symbol of a Tibetan hand bell
U+0FC5   ࿅   Tibetan symbol rdo rje So L 3.0
U+0FC6   ࿆   Tibetan symbol padma gdan Mn NSM 3.0
U+0FC7   ࿇   Tibetan symbol rdo rje rgya gram So L 3.0
U+0FC8   ࿈   Tibetan symbol phur pa So L 3.0
U+0FC9   ࿉   Tibetan symbol nor bu So L 3.0
U+0FCA   ࿊   Tibetan symbol nor bu nyis khyil So L 3.0
* the double body symbol
ref U+262F   ☯   yin yang (Miscellaneous Symbols)
U+0FCB   ࿋   Tibetan symbol nor bu gsum khyil So L 3.0
* the tri-kaya or triple body symbol
U+0FCC   ࿌   Tibetan symbol nor bu bzhi khyil So L 3.0
* the quadruple body symbol, a form of the swastika
ref U+534D   卍   CJK Ideograph 534D (CJK Unified Ideographs)

     Astrological signs

U+0FCE   ࿎   Tibetan sign rdel nag rdel dkar So L 5.1
aka dena deka
* signifies good luck earlier, bad luck later
U+0FCF   ࿏   Tibetan sign rdel nag gsum So L 3.0

     Marks

U+0FD0   ࿐   Tibetan mark bska shog gi mgo rgyan Po L 4.1
* used in Bhutan
U+0FD1   ࿑   Tibetan mark mnyam yig gi mgo rgyan Po L 4.1
* used in Bhutan
U+0FD2   ࿒   Tibetan mark nyis tsheg Po L 5.1
aka nyi tsek

     Head marks

U+0FD3   ࿓   Tibetan mark initial brda rnying yig mgo mdun ma Po L 5.1
aka da nying yik go dun ma
U+0FD4   ࿔   Tibetan mark closing brda rnying yig mgo sgab ma Po L 5.1
aka da nying yik go kab ma

http://unicode.org
Some prose may have been lifted verbatim from unicode.org,
as is permitted by their terms of use at http://www.unicode.org/copyright.html

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.