Black preserved eggs. They stink when you buy them, but they taste really good once they're cooked. Legend has it they they used to be made by soaking duck eggs in horse urine. Not exactly sanitary, but I'm sure they're not made so nowadays. They look nasty, but I assure you, they taste good. The egg white is now black, and it tastes like tea jelly. Mmmm. The yolk is still the same, but with a strong hint of seasoning. It is almost like tea eggs, which also rock the house.

I like tea. I like eggs. These ones are fragrant. Don't worry about the ashes and burying them in the ground. The grit won't be in the egg, it's just the preservation process, besides, you wash them afterwards. It only lasts 100 days, but they're still called "Thousand Year Eggs".

Ingredients

Cooking

Combine tea, salt, ashes and lime. Using about 1/2 cup per egg, thickly coat each egg completely with this clay-like mixture. Line a large crock with garden soil and carefully lay coated eggs on top. Cover with more soil and place crock in a cool dark place. Allow to cure for 100 days. To remove coating, scrape eggs and rinse under running water to clean thoroughly. Crack lightly and remove shells. The white of the egg will appear a grayish, translucent color and have a gelatinous texture. The yolk, when sliced, will be a grayish-green color.

Serve it in various dishes, such as congee.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.