Ken Stringfellow's first solo album, released on Hidden Agenda Records in 1997, is...well, it's definitely all over the map. Ken himself described it as "four demos and some filler". A lot of fans (okay, myself included) think it's a mess. It certainly can be frustrating, as guitar angst (most of which ended up in fully-fleshed out forms on Saltine releases) blends into weird noodly breakbeat experiments which in turn lead into power pop covers. All this and a Pansy Division-esque shirtless photo in the liner notes, too! It's all thoroughly dispensable; if you really want to see what the boy is capable of all by himself, listen to Touched.

But.

The one demo that never ended up being rerecorded - "Too True" - is genuinely stunning. Yeah, that verse about the refrigerator is fairly misguided, but hey, it's a demo. Listening to Ken howl "Am I so bad?" over and over gets to you after a while. He's been playing it at recent solo shows and it holds up with the best of his recent work.
  1. Here's to the Future (later done by Saltine; also rerecorded as the closer for his next album)
  2. Trans Potato (playing with the drum machine)
  3. Your Love Won't Be Denied (Saltine)
  4. A Short Drum Break (self-explanatory)
  5. Any Sign at All (Saltine)
  6. Bi - Son (overlong samply...thing)
  7. Too True
  8. Anxiety Ryder (etc.)
  9. Unfortunate Threnody (etc. etc.)
  10. Take Care (minimalist Big Star cover)

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.