The problem with "pirating" as a word used to describe copyright infringement is succinctly summed up by Richard M. Stallman:
Publishers often refer to prohibited copying as "piracy". In this way, they imply that illegal copying is ethically equivalent to attacking ships on the high seas, kidnaping and murdering the people on them.

If you don't believe that illegal copying is just like kidnaping and murder, you might prefer not to use the word "piracy" to describe it. Neutral terms such as "prohibited copying" or "unauthorized copying" are available for use instead. Some of us might even prefer to use a positive term such as "sharing information with your neighbor."
  http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/words-to-avoid.html

You may not like Mr. Stallman, but that doesn't make him wrong.

So, copying software is usually illegal, and often morally wrong too. Just be aware that by equating the petty theft of software duplication with plunder, kidnap, murder and littering the seabed with the rusting remains of sunken ships, you are using a very loaded word.

yes, I do go out of my way to buy games and music CDs that I really like, despite the availablity of copies. I do this because I think that, for instance, Blizzard deserve £30 of my money for Warcraft III and Godspeed you black Emperor! deserve £15 for f#a#µ. .

The other problem with pirating is that Talking like a pirate is fun but annoys people. Arr!

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.