George Steiner tells us that the medium is the message. If this is the case, then what is it in fact we are dealing with when faced with the two dimensional realm of the screen? Are we blessed with the ability to transcend distance, time, and arduous effort with efficiency and ease? How does this play into the process whereby we assimilate literate ideas through the process of careful and analytical reading? If in fact we are not faced with the concrete reality of the page, the very material essence of words, then are we not willingly participating in the wholesale dissolution of our literate selves?

We must begin with the assumption that reading is sacred, and that it is part and parcel to being human. Following this statement to its logical conclusion, we must realize that without the act of reading, we would cease to have that very thing which sets us apart from everything else. Is the two dimensional screen, then, different in function, (where it is obviously different in form) from the printed page?

The only conclusion we can draw from this is that in fact we are losing the page, and the attendant increase in literate interiority, in favor of a "click- on, click-off" sense of text and the death of literacy.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.