The Residents' Mole Trilogy was originally concieved as three parts, but when they acquired their newest toy, an EM-U Emulator sampler, they got the idea to expand it to six parts. The odd numbered albums (e.g. Mark of the Mole would tell the story of the Moles and the Chubs, while the even numbered albums would focus on the music of the cultures. Over its fifteen tracks, The Residents alternate between the music of the Chubs and the Moles.

The music of the Chubs is primarily instrumental, based on 1920s and 30s big band music, performed in the demented Residential style, a la, The Third Reich N' Roll. Some songs are outright covers of music from this era, such as Mousetrap and Happy Home, which cover the songs Eager Beaver and Machito by Stan Kenton. Serenade for Missy is also a cover of a song called In The Mood. Serenade for Missy also features Snakefinger on guitar, and Norman Salant on saxophone. The Moles' music, however, is dark and tribal. It calls to mind the experiments in tribal music from Fingerprice (Syx Things To A Cycle) and Eskimo. It contains dark, chanting lyrics and prayers in the made-up language of Mohelmot, with some English mixed in here and there.

The entire album, except for the guest contributions on Serenade for Missy is performed on the EM-U Emulator. Three more tracks were recorded during the sessions, Open Up, Anvil Forest and Scent Of Mint, but were omitted for lack of space. They appear on the East Side Digital release of the album, and on the Residue Of The Residents and Residue Deux compilations. Some of the tracks: God of Darkness, Secret Seed, Smack Your Lips (Clap Your Teeth), Song of the Wild and Happy Home were used in The Residents' Mole Show tour as well.

For fans of The Residents, and those interested in their Mole Trilogy, this album is essential. It contains interesting, and well executed music. However, for those who are just being initiated into the cult of The Residents, there are safer places to start.

Tracklist:

  1. Serenade for Missy
  2. A Maze of Jigsaws
  3. Mousetrap
  4. God of Darkness
  5. Smack Your Lips (Clap Your Teeth)
  6. Praise For The Curse
  7. The Secret Seed
  8. Smokebeams
  9. Mourning The Undead
  10. Song of the Wild
  11. The Evil Disposer
  12. Happy Home (Excerpt from Act II of Innisfree)

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.