The Transformers Comics
prev|next


Title: Man of Iron
Issue: 32
Released: October 1987
Pages: 22

Writer: Steve Parkhouse
Art: John Ridgeway
Editor: Sheila Cranna
Editor: Don Daley
EditorInChief: Tom DeFalco

You won’t believe it! Your eyes will bug out!! An explosive saga from the house of ideas!!!

This issue, in a complete break with American continuity, is a reprint of half of a UK TF story. The difference between approaches is staggering. The pacing is much more mature, following the viewpoint of a British family and never once representing the Autobots’ side of events. Optimus Prime and Jazz dispense with cowboy/hipster banter and converse only in terse military code. The shading is much more rough and moody than the style we’ve become accustomed to.

Synopsis: Decepticons drop two bombs on an English castle as Autobots attempt to interrogate the caretaker’s son as to a possible motive. There is a legend of a Man of Iron who, over 900 years ago, would defend the castle from knights, then return to the ground beneath it. Presumably this is who was supposed to have been depicted on the cover (by Charles Vess), combating medieval soldiers on horseback, yet it is clearly a wildly miscolored Megatron instead.

"And the apparition was fearful, being a Man of Iron of great height and girth, seeming unheedful of quarrel, spear or sword…”--Manuscript, dated 1070 AD

Disclaimer: This is neither autonoded nor a cut'n'paste writeup. My only source material are the original comics.

This was noded in the fine tradition of break.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.