I can see how someone who was relentlessly intolerant of any and all spelling mistakes and typos would be a difficult sort to get along with. The fact of the matter remains, however, that people make assumptions regarding other people's intelligence when they see something one has written, and right or wrong, if the spelling is horrible, a writer can come across as a dingbat. Luckily, it seems that most of the folks who use E2 abide pretty strictly to the mandates of the Spelling Police, but there are some infractions (especially elsewhere on the internet) that make me insane too.

For instance, there is NO D in "refrigerate!" There is a similar absence of a d in "congratulate." Even if you expand on those words to make them refrigerator and/or congratulations, there's still no goddamned d.

That strong coffee served in little bitty cups is called espresso. Without an x there after the e. No x at all. Even though the word "espresso" is somewhat similar to the word "express," the two are only that...somewhat similar.

Surgical removal of a female pet's uterus and ovaries is called a Spay procedure. Therefore, if you have your female pet altered so that she cannot bear offspring, you have had her spayed, NOT "Spaded," for the love of all that is good and holy. A "spade" is a small garden implement, or one of four suits in a deck of cards, not major abdominal surgery.

Their = belonging to them. There = not here. They're = they are. Too = in addition to, or a measure of degree, (i.e. "You can never be too rich or too thin.") Two = one more than one. To = used most other times, that's all one has to remember!

Oy, and I rant, here where this particular raving isn't even necessary. Carry on.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.