Summary:

The sixth letter from Screwtape to Wormwood, like the letter before, dwells on the "new war" and how it will influence Wormwood's patient.

Screwtape begins by pointing out that Wormwood's patient is of the proper age and profession to be considered for military service. Screwtape tells Wormwood that the patient must be kept confused about the war and it's implications for him. The patient is not sure he will be called to serve, therefore he is uncertain and vulnerable to Wormwood's efforts.

The patient, says Screwtape, must see his tribulations that are coming as the "Enemy's" will, he must even see them as battles, his own private crosses to bear. He must never suspect that they are merely troubles that have been thrust upon him by chance. Screwtape here introduces an important spiritual law:

"In all activities of mind which favour our cause, encourage the patient to be un-selfconscious and to concentrate on the object, but in all activities favourable to the Enemy bend his mind back on itself."

Screwtape is saying that as long as he is thinking with his baser motives: greed, lust, anger - he should think about the objects and people around him. Whenever he thinks with his higher motives: charity, kindness, humility - he should think only of himself.

Screwtapes final lesson is still a powerful one: he tells Wormwood that there will inevitably be both benevolence and malice in him. Wormwood should direct the benevolence toward distant people, complete strangers or those in need, and to direct the malice toward the Patient's neighbours - those he is around constantly. Thus the malevolence and anger will be all around him, while the benevolence and kindness will exist only far away, and in his imagination. There are three levels to a human being, says Screwtape: the first is the Will, the second is the Intellect, and the third is Fantasy. He should direct everything good in him into Fantasy, and everything bad into Will. Screwtape closes by saying that the grandest good intentions cannot keep a man from Hell, but they may make him more amusing once he gets there.


Letter #5 | Letter #7

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.