Back in the day, before gangs, rap music, and robots, Yonkers was beautiful. It was a small, growing industrial town founded in 1639. Home to the great Philipse Family, starting place of Otis Elevators, and bordering the most powerful city in the world, New York, Yonkers was everything a rich British guy with a cool accent could want. It had two large rivers: the historical Hudson, discovered by the great Henry Hudson, and the Saw Mill River, named after its saw mill set up by the Dutch colonizer Adriaen Van der Donck (whom Yonkers was later named after). Winding through the center of Yonkers, the Saw Mill was always a familiar and welcome site, it was a major up for living there at the time, as well. Needless to say, the Saw Mill was greatly appreciated by all who visited...and who stayed.

      But then, as it is necessary for all cities to progress into an ever more advancing world, change came along smoothly and slowly for the Saw Mill River. As time drifted past, and Yonkers developed, the landmasses were steadily moving along. Terrain by the two great rivers was shifted during the expansion of the ever-growing Yonkers. Otis moved out...the Philipse Family's land was seized by the Brits in 1779....And the Saw Mill River was slowly covered over by shameful man-made structures and trash.

        Evidence of the Saw Mill is really hard to find for the not too observant. Sewer leakage, litter, and industrial wastes started to infest the River. But even though it had been forgotten by most, it had not been forgotten by itself. It now lies, winding for miles and miles under the darkened city of Yonkers. Polluted and ignored, it may remember when the upper class Europeans used to bathe in its sparkling waters. It may remember when Native Americans rowed its calm surface. It may remember when it was a necessary staple for Yonkers' population. But they do not remember.

          Now here comes the good part...

            The Saw Mill River was covered over by trash, dirt, and man-made structures, right? Since the river runs under all throughout the center of Yonkers (and eventually plugs into the Hudson), it is in prime position to cause some...havoc... I wouldn't be too sure that all of that crap we covered the Saw Mill up with is too sturdy. After years and years of being forgotten, the dirt foundation on which this city is built has been subjected to natural and unnatural weathering. What if it just started to, you know...collapse? Everything, the whole city, falling apart. Being sucked into a giant sinkhole. Everything. Everyone. Would they remember the past pride of Yonkers then?

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.