The Process of Belief

2002 album by aging seasoned punk rockers Bad Religion. Scheduled to be released January 22. If you think Bad Religion hasn't done anything good since Generator, this album won't change your mind. If you think BR hasn't done anything good since The Grey Race, this album may give you something to think about. (or at least listen to) In my opinion, it has some decent tracks on it, definitely better than No Substance and The New America, but nothing to crow about.

Favorite lyric: "Does it make you suffer cause you have to die? Is it best to live a lie?"

Track list:

1. Supersonic
2. Prove It
3. Can't Stop It
4. Broken
5. Destined For Nothing
6. Materialist
7. Kyoto Now!
8. Sorrow
9. Epiphany
10. Evangeline
11. The Defense
12. The Lie
13. You Don't Belong
14. Bored and Extremely Dangerous

After being pushed back 4 months and then moved up two weeks, The Process of Belief was released to the world on January 22, 2002 as Bad Religion's twelfth studio album.

Clocking in at just over thirty-four minutes, The Process of Belief combines the length and energy of Suffer with the big sound and production of The New America. Losing long time drummer Bobby Schayer to a career ending shoulder injury, and adding new drummer Brooks Wackerman, Bad Religion turned out an album rather quickly considering The New America came out less than two years previously.

The other significant bit of trivia is the reconciliation of Brett Gurewitz with the rest of the band. Considering he was half of the songwriting team for all of Bad Religion's seminal albums, this is a Good Thing. In addition the band has returned to the label it founded, Epitaph, after its four album association with Atlantic Records.

To indulge in personal opinion, Bad Religion seems to have added a measure of cleverness to their already erudite lyrics. To me it seems that as they get older they are learning to laugh a little more. This too is a good thing and lends to their music a credibility that is lacking too often in music.


For those wondering the title of the album is taken from track 6, Materialist. The line is:
The process of belief is an elixir when you weak
I must confess at times I indulge it on the sneak.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.