The Elton John Discography

Elton John's twenty-ninth album, which was released in 1992. The One was produced by Chris Thomas and recorded at Studio Guillaume Tell, Paris, France. Understanding Women recorded at Air Studios, London, England.

  • Simple Life
  • The One
  • Sweat It Out
  • Runaway Train (with Eric Clapton)
  • Whitewash County
  • The North
  • When A Woman Doesn't Want You
  • Emily
  • On Dark Street
  • Understanding Women
  • The Last Song

Title track from the album The One. Written by Bernie Taupin and performed by Elton John.

Dates and other miscellaneous facts taken from one of the following sites:

  • http://www.eltonjohn.com
  • http://wallofsound.go.com/artists/eltonjohn/content/discography.html, and
  • http://www.rockhall.com/hof/inductee.asp?id=132

The Babylon 5 Project

The One

The One is an esteemed title of importance in the Minbari Philosophy. The One is someone who is destined to Change the Universe.

To the Rangers is it Anla'shok Na, or Entil'Zha, or Ranger One.

The One is actually Three (according to Zathras in "War Without End, Part Two"):

    Jeffrey Sinclair is The One Who Was presumably because he traveled back in time 1000 years to become the Minbari Holy Icon Valen.
      (cf. "War Without End, Part Two")
    Delenn is The One Who Is because, as prophesied by Valen 1000 years before, she would break the Grey Council, redefine the Minbari Grey Council and become a new Minbari Holy Icon.
      (cf. "Severed Dreams"
      "Moments of Transition")
    John Sheridan is The One Who Will Be presumably because he is the catalyst for the creation of the Interstellar Alliance and after he goes Beyond the Rim, the Rangers and the Minbari follow his precepts for the next million years.

"We live for The One, We Die for the One"

    Aside: There was much discussion about the fact that Zathras's description of The One sounded strikingly familiar to that of the Beatles, "I am the Walrus"

The beat James Brown used to have his JB's do it on. Emphasis on the first and third beats of a four beat measure, with super-heavy emphasis on the first -- The One. The One is the foundation of funk music. George Clinton and Bootsy Collins got fanatical about The One. All the lights on the mothership pulsate on the One.

I've been thinking about this concept of late. With my life finally coming to a point where I know what I want and, more importantly, I know how to deal with myself, I suppose a space has been cleared where I can begin to recognize what makes someone else important to me.

As lignocaine mentioned above (and BaronCarlos, albeit unintentionally), there seems to be two definitions to this phrase. In the past, when thinking of The One as a female, I was referring to my life partner, the Fateful Dame, the Proto-Significant Other; but in the context of a male, it means a Savior, the Messiah. I just realized this weird connection, although it's been made so painfully obvious to the point of becoming trite. Think of the metaphor of the Christian church as "The Bride of Christ", or the interpretation of the "Song of Songs" as the relationship between God and the Soul. There was even a time when I trembled at the thought that the Holy Spirit represented God's sexuality (I had found it a radical and blasphemous idea when I first came across it - how I pine for those days when new ideas has so much power over me!)

It occurs to me now that this way of thinking, this Messianic Consciousness toward divine and romantic (for lack of a better word) love, is somewhat naive, a product of the semi-fanatical state of mind found commonly in religious zealots and teenagers. I am not making any moral or aesthetical judgments of this mindset, but I have come to realize that putting so much emphasis on a singular entity - especially a human - is too dangerous, too simplistic and too dishonest for me to be able to pull off.

It distracts one from the entire point of being a human, of being responsible for our own mistakes and shortcomings - and growth. If I were to seek out that One, how far would they be able to satisfy me? In point of fact, they would be expected to satisfy me completely. And every doubt that springs up to snare me I would be obliged brush aside with a flippant "Oh, no bother, this is meant to be."

But doesn't that beg the question of why I am doubting in the first place? Doesn't that way of thinking remove me, however slightly, from directly experiencing the more uncomfortable levels of myself, by positing a safe and universal out to all my anxieties?

Admittedly, not all people who have a Messiah are dishonest and weak, or for that matter naive and close-minded. And not all relationships which are based on this conceptualization of the parties involved are without strife and work. It's just that I've grown weary of my own idealism, perhaps because it itself is too strong, too fatalistic, too all-or-nothing, too unrefined.

When it comes down to it, it is we, and not 'Fate', that creates our "One". It is our insistent, incessant affirmations of that relation which gives it its power. And maybe we deserve to have that safety, that shelter in this chaotic world of conflicting ideas and torturous feelings. Maybe all that The One signifies is a dry place where love and trust and truth reside, comfortable enough to speak their minds and know exactly how to fix eachother's eggs and tea.

Maybe the Messiah is simply an affirmation of that part of us that is untouched by the world, that can walk on the waters without sinking, that can smile, and die, and return all radiant with a peaceful smile.

I feel that all of these things, especially these intimate things - relationships, emotions, ideals - are metaphors for processes that are occurring inside us. And one of the chief dangers that is constantly present in us is the tendency to lie to ourselves, to shirk the weight of our journey and find a scapegoat to hoist our troubles on. True Love, if it is ever to be more that a myth, must be strong enough to recognize every painful little detail without losing its essential truth. And what makes it strong is not the fervency of its believers, but the hard-earned intimacy of its practitioners


Starring: Jet Li, Carla Giugino, Delroy Lindo, Jason Statham

The premise: 

There is more than one universe, a multiverse.  Whether it's an infinite or a finite number of universes it's never established.  People exist simultaneously in several universes, though not in all of them.  In fact, it is stated that there are a finite number of people (at least the protagonist) existing simultaneously.  If one of these people dies, his life energy is divided equally among the survivors.  It is possible to travel throughout this universes via black holes, which can be predicted by those agents who police the access and immigration among them.  One such agent, Yu-Law (Jet Li) starts killing his alter egos in different universes so he can gather their energy.  When he is the only survivor, he will become "The One" with godlike powers.  Trying to stop him are two other agents, Harry Roedecker (Delroy Lindo) and Evan Funsch ( Jason Statham, Turkish from Snatch).  Only one man remains to be killed so Yu-Law can become The One, LAPD agent Gabe Law.  Of course Yu-Law has against him the fact the Gabe also has awesome powers due to the killing of his alter egos.

My take on the film:

I like to see the glass half full.  Most reviews compare this movie unfavorably to The Matrix, and in fact there's not a shred of originality on this production.  I prefer to see it as a VanDamme movie with three points in its favor:  excellent special effects, great choreographed  fights (wire fu anyone?) and no VanDamme.

Bullet cam times abound, explosions, a fight in a factory (a la Terminator II) mindless plot and dialogue and a very corny ending.

Conclusion:

Not bad for an evening of mindless fun.  Worth a rental, if not the price of admission to a theater.


Interesting Trivia: The Rock was considered for the main roles but opted out to do The Scorpion King. Thanks to Master Villain for the info.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.